Combines Feeder drive shaft

Jamer

I've seen a couple break. The replacements are heat-treated so it shouldn't be a problem in the future for you. They were all supposed to be heat-treated starting with the first 2388 series, but a few early production got released without the heat-treat. So anything prior to 2388 would not have been treated either.

west_illini

The times I have worked on the upper feeder shaft, I left it on the cornhead, blocked it up, and backed the combine away. This time I would try the tool to loosen the gib key. A pipe with an hammer impact head (and a notch to go around the key) and drive the pulleys in to loosen the key. I got the idea a few weeks ago on here for the lower header drive shaft and it works( used a BIG hammer). I would take the kotter key out on the opposite side, drive the pulleys away from the bearing, for clearance, then drive the pulleys off the key. What does everyone else thinkIJ

Old_Pokey

I like The pipe and hammer trick. I use a heel bar on the key and a zip gun (air hammer) on the pulley hub. I guess it depends on how many helpers you have. I found that using a innertube deflater and sucking the air out of the tire will deform the tire and allow the shaft to be removed without taking the wheel off or removing the feederhouse from the machine. If you do replace the shaft and sprockets, try using some filler type bearing locktite between the sprockets and shaft to keep them from working loose.

Old_Pokey

Glad to hear everything went together ok. I hope the weather clears up for you also. I dont know where you are, but I've been hearing of several different areas having bad harvest weather. I wish you the best.