Combines 9760 STS with Geringhoff

nod

I run the same unit that you are inquireing about on my STS9750. It is a 12 row 20 inch roto-disc head. Did 1000 acres with it last fall. It does take alot of power and will slow you down a bit to get a good job of chopping done. I was also told to go to the direct drive but didn't. I figured I would see if the variable would take it before spending money for the direct drive. The only trouble I had was on cold mornings when everthing is froze up the belt would slip a bit until everything got turning. I did install a Geringhoff gear box oil cooler. It is about three times bigger then JD's. I will change to synthetic gear oil before heading into the fields this year. Should make it run a little cooler and have more gearbox protection. You will need to add ballast to the rear of the combine even if it is four wheel drive and alot more if it is two wheel drive. The fellas from Germany (one a engineer and the other the owner of Geringhoff) told me that in Europe everone runs the direct drive no matter what brand of combine or brand of head. I guess they all chop stalks with their corn heads over there. They told me that the varible speed feeder house drive is not offered in Europe not even as a option.

make0905

We run in Europe an 9880 with 465 hp and a nine row RD - and it is as you said there is no possibility to have a variable federhouse. I made about 1300 acres with it put had little problems at the beginning with the belt turning the headder which lost too much speed so we had to make the head run faster then it worked much better (800rpm). The variable feederhouse would be great in sidehill where you have to drive slower even to slow down the headder!

gaucho

I know, that in europe the variable fedderhouse not is availible. To work with variable fedderhouse will give more options for best work, but if it breaks, the costs to replace the JD's fedderhouse are much more, than the direct drive from Geringhoff will cost. Tomorow I will speak with the guys there and asking about the cost for Geringhoff gear box oil cooler. But anyway, how many times in the year, people are changing speed of fedderhouseIJIJ

nod

I change my variable header_feeder house drive speed about a 100 times a day. I match the speed to the crop and ground speed. I never really understood how a operator could be without it. We have a very, very small harvest window. When we can go we run 24 hours a day and go like hell all 24 of them. We ask for no quarter nor give any. NO MERCY! GET IT DONE NOW! My favorite morale booster for the troops is, "what you are going to do tomarrow do it today, what you were going to do today DO IT NOW!" show no mercy.

FarmBuddy

I think variable speed feederhouse was more of a benefit back in the days of 50 series Row Crop bean heads. I could see more benefit in matching gathering belt speed to forward travel, as the row crop head hugged the ground. Bean shatter was also more problematic than ear loss due to mis-matched header speed. The new problem is that the JD variable speed drive was designed for 8820 combines running about 2.5 to 3.0 mph. The small driver and large driven lower pulley worked okay on 8 and 12 row heads at those slower speeds. But the current trend of harvesting at 5 to 6 mph requires speeding up the VS drive and therefore the large upper pulley works ok, but the lower VS sheave is spread to a small, ie 6" diameter and can't take the heat. The new 60 series headers should be better in this area, with the larger lower sheaves, but the new challenge will be added power loss and perhaps and increased in u-joint failures in the mis-aligned header driveshafts. Current header drives are an area that needs improvement.

iaremec

with the technolgy of the ivt in jd tractor line. it seems a matter of time you will have it in combines like 8010 cnh. tension springs and belts are way overloaded when in slow positions..