Combines New to green paint Am looking at a used 9600 help

ilovegreen

randy olson. i live 5 miles south and 5 miles west of crosby. do ya know where peace lurtherun church is.........

dakotaboy

Hey Randy, good to meet you. Well the name sounds kinda familiar...mabeye I've met you at the "Oly" on a rainy day. I used to cut some grain for Jerry Peterson....know himIJ also know Wayne_Delaney Haugland, Barry Haggin,"Homer", a Melby, can't remember his first name (those 2 brothers that used to run 2 860's and farmed quite a bitIJIJ can't recall the name. ...know more Crosby folks just can't think of em all. Hey, question for ya, Who might be looking for some help if we have a descent crop up your way come harvest timeIJ looking to find some custom acres this season. All I need to make a go of it is about 2000 total acres....Any ideas as to who usually hires all around Crosby. I will call Jerry and see if he's still running his old 1420 IH and see if he needs some help again. Its been 5 years since I did any custom work. Who should I callIJ

dakotaboy

Yeh I am by golly, He is my cousin, just talked to him not long ago......

buckshot

You will enjoy a 9600. It is reliable, cheap to maintain, and comfortable. It will disappoint you in heavy barley, but it will keep chugging when everything else has gone home. Things to look for on used onesIJ Check out the straw walker bearings. Give the walkers themselves a shove and see how much play is in the bearings. 9600s before 1995 or so had wood blocks. 1995 and up had metal bearings. Deere paid for a changeup to hardened cranks and better metal bearings when the new steel bearings and soft cranks started wearing out before the old wood ones used to. If you have the time, have a coolant scan done on the antifreeze. It is cheap and will tell you if the engine is cooked. The 8.1 is pretty tough, but it pays to check. look for one with new rasp bars and a newer concave. Check for bolted on slats on the feederhouse chain. New ones are riveted on with Deere's so any ones bolted on there indicates that one has bent or been broken. Make sure the clean grain and tailings conveyers aren't worn out. Have a look at the augers underneath the concave that move the grain and chaff back to the shoe. Make sure the bearings aren't shot, the flighting isn't done, and the troughs aren't wearing through. If the unit is a '96 or'97, have a look at the belt tension arm for the straw chopper. lots of those models had fine cut choppers on them which put a big load on the jackshaft. lots of the units have cracked the sides of the combines where the jackshaft attaches. Deere made a brace available, so make sure it has it. '97s did have some low power issues. Something to do with a hot fuel derate. I think 1995 or 1996 is probably the best in terms of year, although you do get the fancy 50 year anniversary decal on the '97 :) ! I don't know what years are involved, but there is a shaft than runs across the combine underneath the grain tank, in behind the cab that has a plastic shield around it. It is really tough to get to, in fact a lot of folks don't know it is there. Over time that shield packs full of dust and chaff. If not blown out from time to time, it can start a fire. Other than that, just look for sheet metal damage, wear on the grain tank augers etc. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Overall, they are great combines. Good luck in your search.

chads

There is a reason that hour for hour a 1680 is worth more than a 9600-get itIJ Chads

buckshot

There is a reason why Case is now owned by an Italian company who closed the plant where the 1680 was built-get itIJ

cat_man

why don't you buy a early 90's TR 97, and save about $20 or $25,000. they will do a better job than 9600 in good conditions. but like most rotaries, tough conditions will slow them down. have seen 1300 hr machines sell for $33,000 in this area. and you green guys don't tell me about mainainence. i see all these auctions with "$10,000" in recent repairs on 9600's. i haven't put that much in our tr's in 6 years. last year we cut 3,300 acres 2 machines and broke 2 chains. didn't mean to come to your page and rip deeres, but don't be colorblind dakotaboy.

cat_man

why don't you buy a early 90's TR 97, and save about $20 or $25,000. they will do a better job than 9600 in good conditions. but like most rotaries, tough conditions will slow them down. have seen 1300 hr machines sell for $33,000 in this area. and you green guys don't tell me about mainainence. i see all these auctions with "$10,000" in recent repairs on 9600's. i haven't put that much in our tr's in 6 years. last year we cut 3,300 acres 2 machines and broke 2 chains. didn't mean to come to your page and rip deeres, but don't be colorblind dakotaboy.

acrebaker

The '97 models came out of the factory with the wrong injectors in them that is why they run out of power.