Combines R52 Harvest Slide Show

T__langan

I'm from WC Wisconsin. Those hills are what we call "bluffs" around here and are quite common. They are mostly sandstone and shale. This area is in the "driftless area" where the glaciers didn't cover in the last ice age so these bluffs didn't get leveled off when the glaciers plowed through. Another interesting tidbit - our farm is about a mile away from Silver Mound where Native Americans came from all over the U.S. to get quartzite to make arrowheads. Hixton Quartzite from this mound has been found as far away as Tennessee. There are many artifact hunters that search farm fields around here and they find many arrowheads, axes, ect but I've never found anything - mostly because I don't watch for them. The reason for the name "Silver" Mound is French explorers watched Indians mining this quartz from a few miles away through looking glasses. The quartz would glisten in the sunlight and made the explorers think they were mining silver. I'm sure the French were quite disappointed if_when they ran the Indians off only to discover they were mining rock! I guess we take this area's beauty for granted since we live here. I lived in TX for a little over a year once and seen some pretty country down there but was glad to get home too. Thanks for the comments!

Coug_Fan

Tom langan wrote: "These flatland pics aren't as dramatic as Coug Fan's hybrid Gleaner_Mountain Goat pics but Gleaners look great in any setting!" I agree. Gleaners look good in any setting. The slide show is a great idea. Keep the pictures coming.--Ray

Tom_Russell

Hey Tom Thanks for sharing the pictures as well as a bit of history. Frame 9 looks like a windrower for straw. Is it standard GleanerIJ You and Ray should save at least one frame for a picture of the nut behind the wheel. How about it guysIJ Tom in MN

T__langan

Tom - Frame n9 is a pic of a piece of tin we made and bolted on below the straw discharge to slide the windrow over to the right to prevent it from falling into the wheeltrack from the combine. The straw dries out for baling a lot faster if it's dropped onto standing stubble where air can circulate under it rather than sitting on the ground. That is still one thing we don't like about these rotaries, they leave such tight, little windrows compared to the conventionals that layed the straw out in a wide, flat windrow. If anyone has suggestions on how to make wider windrows, I'd like to hear about them. There was someone here last year who claimed they had a design, but I couldn't get details from them. Thanks,

Dairyman

Hey Tom! NICE looking oat field! I have rarely seen one that clean. If everyone had a setup like that and a clean field of standing oats there would be a lot more oats raised than currently are. Especially when oats are only about $.30 less per bushel than corn... Thanks for the pics. Russ

T__langan

We spray our oats to rid them of weeds. Butyrac is the name of the chemical we use - it's a formulation of 2,4-D that kills weeds but doesn't harm the interseeded alfalfa. It's sprayed just before the oats head out and works beautifully. That field of oats were of the "Jim" variety and ended up yielding just shy of 100 bu_acre at 38 lb test weight (32 lb being standard for oats). The biggest thing contributing to oats going down, at least in this area, is excess nitrogen. The oats grow so tall with lots of N and then blow over in a storm. We try our best to prevent that. Some guys around here even spread urea before the sow oats and we've seen (and cut!) fields that were completely flat - not a single oat standing! We were able to get all of last years oats sold for $1.20_bu locally - co-op needed them for calf feed. We had one wagon load of new crop that wouldn't fit in our bins and only got offered 85 cents for those. Can't figure that out......! Thanks for the compliment, Dairyman!

T__langan

I've also toyed with the idea of using the standard straw spreader and hanging curtains down on either side of it to contain the spread to whatever width. Another C.I.D. entry, maybeIJ Thanks,