Combines MF 850 paddles vs chains

hv_user

The only time I had trouble was in alfalfa seed.When I put four paddles on all four shafts I never had any trouble again.

agcntry

You will be fine. Never ran a unit with chains and have used the paddles for years in wheat, milo, and seasame a few times.

whizz

The only time in 20 years with one it blocked was in linseed (flax)

kornhead

I called our local Massey dealer in lancaster about this, he says the earlier units ran only two blades per paddle shaft and then they added two more to help the feeding

NDJ

Ran and 860 with paddle conveyor for 10 years in wheat, barley, soybeans and navy beans. I did have a problem one year in viney soybeans and navy beans but found the problem. I changed cylinder bars as they were getting worn and never had a problem in tough conditions after that. The worn cylinder bars were not creating the suction needed to help pull the mat of material from the last paddle and beater into the cylinder. Same thing can happen above the straw chopper if the swinging hammers are not square on the leading edge. I don't rember if I had two or four paddles on my machine, I think it was two per shaft set at 90 degrees to each other. Timing is very important with the paddles as well.

hellandharvester

I agree with NDJon on this. We ran 760's and 860's for many years with paddle elevators, we only had trouble with the paddles when something else was wrong. Again make sure the paddles are timed right, Also make sure the top shaft paddles are in good shape, This set is more difficult to replace therefor they are usually wore out. Yes the cylinder bars must be in good shape also, We installed ours backwards leaving the sharp edge to the front and the angle edge to the rear. This helps grab the material and draw it into the cylinder, this greatly increases capacity and eliminates cylinder grunting. We actually turned the bars on our new combines before they went to the field. Also make sure the vanes on the front beater have not been bent by rocks. This will also cause wrapping.

Turbo

I ran 750's for 13 years and the only time I had a wrapping problem was picking up winrowed oats. They were picking up moisture in evening and very tough. Ran lots of high yielding corn, soybeans and oats without a problem. Allways kept the paddles in good shape and replaced as necessary. Only ran 2 per shaft spaced 90 deg to next paddle. I was told and believe from personal experience that the paddles would actually help ro break up a wad from the header when uneven feeding conditions exist.

pafarmer

Ran a 750 for 20 years and never had a problem with the two paddle set up, except in corn on a frosty morning when the fodder was still damp.

kornhead

Thanks to everyone on their thoughts about this paddle wrapping problem. Sounds like maybe this salesman was trying to play up his machine. What is a fair price on an '82 model 850, 2800hrs, pretty nice and clean, with rear wheel assist, a kinda rumply 1163(about average here) and an average condition 15' 1859 flex headIJ Thanks