Combines 1480 set up for wheat

larryNCKS

You'll need three cover plates and probably need to replace any pulled wires these don't cover. Initial settings rotor 800 fan 900 concaves 2 chaffer 1_2 shoe 5_16 for wheat. Been a long time since I've cut barley. HTH

Farm_Kid2

I assume you have the standard rotor. Make sure it has all the bars on it and the smooth separator bars on the rear. I would install all the wires in the rear two concaves and completely cover the front concave up. That combination will probably work decent with slotted grates and cross bars on the outside. If you have keystock grates, you may get too much trash on the shoe. Don't be afraid to crank the air all the way up unless you start blowing grain out the back. Are you going to be cutting wheat all the time with this machineIJ Do you know what chaffer and seive you haveIJ

roger

i have standard rotor and keystock grates. no chopper. i harvest wheat, barley, soybeans and corn, if i get a head or can adapt my gleaner cornhead. i also bought a set of disrupters and tooth bars from another farmer, should i try to run them.

Farm_Kid2

It sounds like your machine was set up for corn and will probably do a decent job on soybeans also. I can't say much about barley, but I have experience with wheat. Wheat is harder to thresh, requiring a tighter concave setting and more rotor speed. This produces quite a bit of chaff and chewed up straw which ideally would go out the end of the rotor to your beater. The problem with keystock grates is that too much material can fall through and overload the chaffer. This will probably be the worst when the straw is real dry. Mounting the disrupters in the grates will just make this worse by chopping up the straw even more. If you plan to notil into the wheat stubble without a chopper, you will probably need the disrupters installed and a high speed pulley on the straw spreaders. In that case, I would buy the fan deflector right now before even going to the field. It will let you keep that material suspended over the chaffer (like you are used to with the Gleaners) and save you a lot of headaches. The root cause of light material laying on the chaffer (and eventually falling through the chaffer) is an uneven air blast which is heavy at the front. Might be a good idea for corn, but not the ticket for wheat. Mike