2015 F250 Gas Vs Diesel

Chauncey

I'm trying the decide on a 2015 F250 gas vs. diesel. The choice is down to a 6.2 gas or a 6.7 diesel. I'm trying to figure out fuel costs versus repair costs. Which one is more affordable in the long run?

jcman

Farm Hand
But the diesel will get better mileage. The diesel will cost more for repairs, if needed.

jlex

My F250 diesel (2006 6.0) is decent on fuel 18mpg empty highway, 11mpg towing a fifth wheel trailer. But maintenance is expensive, and counterbalances any savings on fuel. Oil changes are 15 quarts plus a $24 filter. Fuel filters need changed every other oil change and cost $50-60 a set (there are two),and a new turbo cost $700 + $1100 in labor. Plus diesel fuel has been consistently about $.90/gal more than gasoline. If you need to tow over 8000-9000 pounds, the diesel is warranted. If not, the gasoline engine is likely a better choice.

Scatterlandsfarms

Scatterlandsfarms

Farm Hand
What will you be using it for ? If a lot of heavy towing the diesel is the only way , if just normal towing then the added expense of a diesel is a waste

Norm W

Farm Hand
The break-even mileage used to be 20,000. Now with diesel fuel being on a price par with gas it is probably closer to 35,000. It boils down to, "How heavey and how far."

Bill Stecik

Farm Hand
I have both. The new gas is powerful and good for most things l have a couple of 06 350 450 and 550 I quit buying them because they can be shop queens sometimes and the new ones with DEF fluid are just to complicated

Norm W

Farm Hand
Be glad it is only 15 qts. I have three Diesels, oil changes are 5 gallons, 7 gallons and 10 gallons. Luckily the car only takes 5 qts.

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
I'm trying the decide on a 2015 F250 gas vs. diesel. The choice is down to a 6.2 gas or a 6.7 diesel. I'm trying to figure out fuel costs versus repair costs. Which one is more affordable in the long run?
The only way a diesel pans out in my book is if your towing a trailer with a lot of weight on a regular basis. Diesel fuel is higher but get a few more mpg but when something in the fuel system goes bad you better have deep pockets just replacing the injectors can be between three to five thousand dollars easy and it's not if they go bad its when they go bad.now the new ones take the deff liquid that goes in another tank for the filter cleaning and like the injectors its not if it goes bad when.I had a 06 Chevy duramax loved the power versus gas but when I hit 150000 miles it started having injector problems the small fortune I put into it would of been a good down payment on a new truck and yes I went back to a gasser I didn't tow trailers enough to justify a diesel. Just my opinion everyone has theres.thanks Rick