Combines 4400 update Found the culprit

hank

Red, Enjoyed reading about your combine and your progress in getting it to run. I work for a farmer in southeastern washington state and he found a old 33 hilside pull combine that we worked on off and on for two years before we got it to run. we get it out and play with it every year and have a lot of fun with it. Mavin posted a few of my pics of it the other day so take a look at them. I'm the one driving the 30 cat.

The_Red

WOW Hank! Nice looking pictures and a great looking pull combine. That sure is some pretty country in the background. The tank is at the radiator shop and the owner explained how he would tackle the boiling, pressure testing, and if that is OK then sealing. Estimate is $250 but that is sure a durn bit cheaper than a new tank from Deere at $750. He can also repair any pin holes if that occurs after boiling. He had a 58 Corvette in his garage! It will be 3 weeks before he has it done. Fine with me. It gives me time to get the hydraulic line fixed. This may become a 2 year project to spread out the costs. Its foolish money wise but I consider it a challenge.

hank

Red- I think fixing up old farm machinery is a great hobby. A lot of people are restoreing old tractors and they are worth more money than they were new. The people I work for have restored quite a few John Deere two-cyinder tractors and a D2 cat. They just got a 60 cat that we have been working on this winter.But I have to say that 33 combine was a lot of fun getting to run.Who knowsIJ That 4400 might be worth a lot of money some day like the two-cyinder tractors are.

The_Red

I about gave away to JD Bs back in 1990. Prices have doubled since then. If combine demolition derby remains popular in the midwest, there won't be a whole lot of 4400s left!