6 Point Vs 12 Point Socket

Goya

6 point vs. 12 point socket - What do you use each for? What are the most common uses?

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
12 points are okay if you aren't torquing much and need an easy connection, hard to see, hard to reach etc. Most everything farm related I'm going with a 6 point. I barely own any 12 points. Now watch I will need a 12 point tomorrow.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
For general use 12 points work just fine. If much torque is needed, 6 is the way to go.

I have both types in all three drive sizes

Cnh

12 points will fit the square end of a tap if you cant get a tap handle in to where it needs to be tapped

C.M. Wierick

As in everything, consider the variables. I have both, and use both on a frequent basis. Some things that I will ONLY use a six-point for are: Spark plugs, Lug nuts, Axle nuts, Oil drain bolts. The rest will take either/or.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
As in everything, consider the variables. I have both, and use both on a frequent basis. Some things that I will ONLY use a six-point for are: Spark plugs, Lug nuts, Axle nuts, Oil drain bolts. The rest will take either/or.

Those things you mention are things you would not want to strip.

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
12 point sockets are fine if you need to make lightweight repairs, but for more heavy-duty jobs, a 6 point one is better. We have both here. The 6 point sockets are less prone to slippage.

ms&r

Farm Hand
Some manufactures such as Komatsu uses fasteners that will only accept 12 point for the most part and 6 point metric can be hard to find in some cases. For square head nuts and bolts there are sockets made just for these. If I have a 6 point bolt to remove or install, I always use a 6 point socket, now I will say that I don't want a 6 point wrench near any of my wrenches that I use regularly because too often the hardware is in the wrong position for the wrench to fit in place.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Have you ever used a "5-point" socket? They fall more into the category of "tamper resistant". They are not readily available like 6 and 12 point sockets are.

ms&r

Farm Hand
No, that's news to me, but they do make some sockets that are threaded inside so when that guy looses his socket that came with his tamper proof lug nuts they can be removed, but it destroys the nuts and can't be reused.