Combines 8570 Backfeeding

Russ

My experience is that in the condition you described, you are exceeding the capacity of the rotor to "auger" the crop away from the feederchain and through the rotor at the rotor speed you selected. Simply increasing the rotor speed a few RPM's will increase the capacity of the rotor to pull the crop away from the feederchain and prevent the backfeeding. For example...if rotor speed is 600 RPM's, an increase of 20 rpm's will yield a capacity increase of 3%. I wouldn't be afraid to increase rotor speed as much as 10-15% on a trial basis until I found the "sweet spot". This assumes all other things like feederchain tension and front beater drive belt tension are correctly adjusted. I would also check to see how well the header is feeding the feederhouse. I always try to feed the entire width of the feederhouse on the Massey because the front beater will then feed the entire circumference of the rotor intake auger and help keep an even feed flow to the rotor. You may have to remove header auger flite extensions to accomplish this. I have also had to change header auger drive sprockets to speed-up the header auger to feed smaller bites of material more rapidly. Usually a 10% increase in auger speed is enough. I have not experienced additional crop damage from increased rotor speeds as the MF rotory combine can be a very forgiving machine. If grain damage does start to occur, you may want to open the concave slightly. With that much crop material going through, there is usually plenty of crop cushioning to help prevent damage.

8780xp

Russ, where are you locatedIJ What crops are you generally working withIJ