Combines 9720

ferge

Don't know anything about bluegrass--early Massey rotaryheads will fit but you may need to add a hyd drive as the 9720_8590 did not have an independent drive fo run the reel and_or pickup. The later 8570s did not need the drive on the head as they had had one on the "box"--confusing--you need a hyd drive on the head for the reel.

waterboy

I have seen the 9720 used in bluegrass, looks like it can do a good job. I have heard the 9720 can be a high capacity, but also a high maintanence machine. As for headers I think most White headers and Massey rotor will fit

Red_Painter

Not sure, but I thought only the last run of the combine, the MF8590, was not built by White.

Red_Painter

Was the 9720 the same as the MF 8590 or an earlier machineIJ The first ones relabelled were 9700's I think. Could it be that it had the White name plate since some White dealers were given rights to distribute them though the White name after the MF purchase. Don't know if those combines had the MF decals.

Jw

Adam, from what I have been told the last of the 9720's that were in production in Brantford at White were relabeled to the Massy Decal when Massey bought out white. The 8590 was basically the same machine, I think the massey final drives were used and there may have been a few other changes. These machines to the best of my knowledge were built in Manitoba at Western Combines. linamar machine in Guelph bought part of the Massey (white) tooling etc.

Combine_Wizard

The White 9700 was built from 1979 to 1982, The Model 9720 was built in 1983 and 1984. Massey Combine Corp bought the line of rotary combines in 1984, making the Model 9720 a transitional combine. MCC renamed the same machine the Model 8590 and produced it under their own name, from the same location White had used to make their rotary combines. The 8570 was discontinued in 1986, although MCC continued to build its smaller brother, the Model 8570 for a few more years. Whether you call it a 9700,9720 or 8590, it's still the same combine. It was also undisputibly the world's largest combine! It is really quite sad that production was ceased. This is one modern combine never given a really good chance to fly, after only riding the shirt tails of two bankrupt companies.

JW

Adam, just checking in for feedback on your 9720. Are you satisfied with the machine and have you discovered any problem areasIJ JW

RJT

Adam, I can clearly recall the big full page add by MF in the Farm magazines when they took over the 9720 combine. It showed them putting a big MF decal on the grain tank side of a 9720. My recollection was there were about 30-50 machines already made by white that were relabled. I can remember I had just recently bought a 9720 from my dealer and it was a relief that they were being coninued and parts would be available. As a side note about one year later my dealer called and said he had a real deal for me. The other 9720 combine that had come in on the same rail car as the one I had was still on his lot, one serial n different than mine. Borg Warner Credit had the floor planning and credit with the dealers and they were offering it for 50% of dealer net. Mind you this was about 20 years ago but I think I paid about $60,000 no trade for that new combine with bean head then. He also had a new 4-225 4 wheel drive tractor on his lot and I bought that also for about $40,000.

RJT

Yes you are absolutely correct. That is how the transition took place. Many of us who had the machines would have liked to see them continue to make the larger machine. But MCC said there wasn't enough market for the larger machine and went with the 2_3 size machine which has been made up to the introduction fo the challenger 680 at louisville this year, The 680 now has the same rotor dimensions as the 9720. I would note that the Farm Industry News Magazine of April 2006 has a big article about the 680 and the Challenger 4 wheel drive tractor. It quote's AGCO officials as saying they will only be available from Challenger dealers. Thats contradictory to what MF and Gleaner talk show sites are saying.