Are pollinators and beekeepers asking for too much?

Julianna

Julianna

Farm Hand
I'm a beekeeper and a couple of years ago I noticed a shift in farming. People became more concerned about the health and safety of pollinators, particularly the honeybee population. Fewer people were using Roundup and other herbicides and pesticides as liberally as they did before. Do you think the tides have changed again? It feels like there's less consideration for honeybees now. Is it simply too difficult to operate a farm without using chemicals that harm pollinators? Are pollinators and beekeepers asking for too much?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I've been farming for 20 years and I've never used pesticides. It may take more work to be organic, but it's better for the environment and better for you.

kneedeep

kneedeep

Farm Hand
I keep Bees as well. I use Rup & 2-4D on corn & Gramoxone for burndown to notill. I dont use pesticide except around buildings and actually spray the ground under hives to control ants & Small Hive Beetles.
In heavy Ag areas, use of psticides has taken a heavy toll on pollinators, not just bees.
In MS, spray drift killing bees can result in heavy fines but it has to be proved who did it and what was used. Most cases, pesticide is sprayed off label with consequences, again, must be proved.
I am seeing more hives around fields lately, so some people are trying to be more responsible with pesticides.
Herbicide use is not cause of decline, pesticide is.

20190409_133654.jpg

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
The truth is that no one is asking too much and that pesticides vary in their effects on bees. Dust and wettable powder pesticides are usually more hazardous when compared to solutions or emulsifiable concentrates.