Are Snap On Tools Worth The Money

Average Joe

Are Snap-On tools worth the money? What's the best brand in your opinion?
Snap On has a Great replacement history, but are very pricey, I have a friend who is a dealership Mechanic and that's all he uses because they come to his dealership and replace any defective or broken tools and you pay for that in price. I bought Carftsman tools ( A lot Cheaper) in the middle 70's and my wrenches, sockets sets 1/4" through 1/2 " drive are all still working fine except a screw driver or two that the head is now defective and there isn't a replacement policy which I don't mind.

parrot24

Craftsman was bought out by PROTO and Stanley a few years ago. 3-5? maybe.

Tommy63

Tommy63

Farm Hand
I don't buy them new anymore. I buy them on Ebay used for a fraction of the cost.

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
For the full time professional mechanic, they are. For average joe homeowner DIY guy, no way. The Northern tool, HFT import junk will satisfy 99.8% of our needs and leave us plenty of money for more attachments.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
For the full time professional mechanic, they are. For average joe homeowner DIY guy, no way. The Northern tool, HFT import junk will satisfy 99.8% of our needs and leave us plenty of money for more attachments.

I buy the premium brands at harbor freight and have not had any issues. Actually some if their stuff is really good. Everybody says they make tools for the job. Well one saw I bought there for $70 has lasted 10 years and taken a beating. It's not perfect but gets the job done. I recently bought some of their forged lug sockets. It was $22 for the full set and lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaken, really can't beat that anywhere.

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
Are Snap-On tools worth the money? What's the best brand in your opinion?
In my opinion they are way over priced to where its ridiculous I can do the Same job with other popular name brands. Personally I think it's a big hype just to keep the prices ridiculously high.im not into supporting some salesmen pocket but this is just me. RICK

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Snap On is not the only "professional" brand tools that are sold directly to mechanics from a "tool truck" - they are the most expensive according to the mechanics I know. Some mechanics say they are the best while others just say it is more convenient to buy from them because they do not have to go anywhere to buy their tools and use that reasoning to justify the higher prices.

All of the brands that direct sell from the truck cost more than the ones you can buy in the store or online.

I have used many different brands (Craftsman, Black Hawk, SK-Wayne, Husky, Kobalt, HFT, Snap On as well as others) and have mostly found that, for the most part, taken care of, they all work and last. Some are more comfortable to hold and use than others.

Currenlty, most of my hand new tools are HFT and Kobalt

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Long time tech once told me - you will use 10% of your tools 90% of the time.

I've found that to be true. For those tools - I find SnapOn as well as "old" (pre mid 90s) Craftsman stuff is the way to go in the way of hand tools. Husky isnt bad either.

The other 90% of the chest - go with whats affordable.

Electronic stuff or tool chest. Im not a fan, much more afforable options out there that are as good. Paying for the ability to pay every paycheck off the tool truck.

I dont rely on my tools daily, but I work around people who do...and I like having better quality stuff. Doesnt make me any more a pro buying a better tool - but its my $$. I've met many 30 year vets with boxes full of Harbor Freight "junk" that they get by fine on...and a few trade school newbies who drove $500 cars but had 15k snap on tools in their stall. To each their own.