Attracting bats

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I got some advice here about attracting bats to my property in order to get rid of the heavy mosquito population. Well, I bought a bat house from a conservation group, but I still don't have any bats. Any tips for getting the creatures to take up residence here? I'd advertise the vacancy, but I’m not sure which classifieds they read.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I just put up a bat house, too. It may take a while for the bats to find them. I haven't seen any bats this year yet. White nose disease is doing a number on them. They are one of the most beneficial and interesting animals.

FaithBean

FaithBean

Farm Hand
It might take a while for the bats to take up residence in your bat house. As RichZ said, white nose is destroying bat populations. You could try adding a water source or adding night blooming flowers. These things will make your bat house more attractive to potential residents! :)

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I can easily add some night blooming flowers around here. That's a good suggestion, @FaithBean. Thanks!

@RichZ, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us. I was skeptical about encouraging bats to move in, until I learned that real estate developers use them to cut down on the mosquito population too.