Bedding Options for Cows

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
We're using sand for our cow bedding. It's a good option because it conforms to the cow's individual shape, drains moisture away from the surface, and may even decrease some cases of mastitis. However, I hate how it sticks to everything and seems to make it's way into the food and water. Has anyone found a bedding option for cows that doesn't track so much?

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Can you tell me a little more about your barn design? Are they housed all together and free-roaming, are they tied in individual stalls, etc? Are we talking about dairy or beef cows here?

I just use straw for the most part, mostly because I produce it on the homestead which saves us money. But I only have three cows and it's an open barn design, so it's easy to keep clean. I also add lime to slow the growth of pathogens.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I no longer have cattle, but when I did and tried using sand, every dog and cat seemed to think it was a giant litter box, including the neighbor's barn cats. It was hard to keep them out. I also tried using shredded paper, but that didn't seem hygienic. That's what my neighbor uses though, and he thinks it works great. I wonder if their barn cats use it as a litter box too?

@Kathy I hope you find your perfect fit.

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
We use straw for our cows, but we only have four of them. Our barn is an open one, so all the cows can mingle with each other. It definitely makes it easier to clean rather than needing to clean individual stalls.

The thing with straw, though, is that you have to be diligent about cleaning it up right away when it's urinated on, defecated on, or gets wet because it supports the growth of pathogens.

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
Isn't straw bedding typically cycled out every day? I wouldn't use sand simply because of the moisture factor. Straw has more aeration simply because of what it is.