Black Pepper In The Radiator

Ricardo

We have a radiator with a slow leak. I heard that I can put black pepper in the radiator to seal it until it can be fixed. My question is, how much black pepper should I be using? A spoonful? A cup full? Has anyone here used it before?

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
I would solder it before I put anything like that in a radiator. I don't know where you are, but some Harbour Freight stores sell what you need for that.

Tommy63

Tommy63

Farm Hand
We used to put a few Tablespoons in. Had like a 20% chance of fixing it. Man that's an old one.

MR52

MR52

I have heard of an egg doing the trick but never pepper. I will second the Barrs leaks, does the trick but it is better to get the rad fixed ASAP before you cause more trouble.

Muddybottom

Muddybottom

I too, have heard of pepper but never tried it. One time, I put two cans of commercial leak seal into a radiator to seal a leaky freeze plug. It stopped the leak but settled in the heater core stopping the flow. This prompted me to remove the heater, take out the core and have a commercial radiator man open it, remove the blockage and resolder the core.
Good luck.

rockinbbar

rockinbbar

Farm Hand
Just fix it.

Unless you have an urgent project that you have to finish in a timely manner, take it to the radiator shop and have them fix it for good.

Just my experience..

Scatterlandsfarms

Scatterlandsfarms

Farm Hand
fix it right ,, why chance a bigger high dollar fix to save a few bucks

Muddybottom

Muddybottom

We used to have a radiator man in town who boiled out radiators in a makeshift tank over brush or whatever wood he had that needed burning. He "fixed" my radiator by sealing up so many tubes it always ran hot. I had to have a good shop recore the radiator.

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
Flex Seal. LOL. If it's good enough for a boat....... but then there's that heat element

Pepper was made for seasoning food, not soldering metal parts together. Don't do it.