Buying from auction

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Anyone bought there plants from an auction? I'm thinking about going to one in about a month. Have you had good luck with auction plants?

Kyle M

Kyle M

Farm Hand
I don't think those exist buddy. If they do, I've never heard of it. Then again, I don't frequent nurseries so I have no idea about their different methods of selling.

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
I've never bought a plant at an auction. I get ours at our local nursery. However, I suppose it would be worth taking a little risk if there's an exotic or rare plant you're looking for.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Anyone bought there plants from an auction? I'm thinking about going to one in about a month. Have you had good luck with auction plants?
I live in an area with a lot of Amish people. The Amish (at least around here) have plant auctions, that are probably their overstock of what they sell to nurseries. I've bought a lot at these auctions. Everything from annual flowers to trees. Most of the stock is excellent. Buying at auction is like buying anyplace else, you have to know what you're buying and what it's worth. You can get great buys at auctions.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
I live in an area with a lot of Amish people. The Amish (at least around here) have plant auctions, that are probably their overstock of what they sell to nurseries. I've bought a lot at these auctions. Everything from annual flowers to trees. Most of the stock is excellent. Buying at auction is like buying anyplace else, you have to know what you're buying and what it's worth. You can get great buys at auctions.

I've never really thought about plant auctions but now that you mention it that's a great idea. I'll keep an eye out

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
I don't think those exist buddy. If they do, I've never heard of it. Then again, I don't frequent nurseries so I have no idea about their different methods of selling.

Oh, they exist. I go to two every year. I also go to the Amish farmhouse sales. I usually buy from the Amish and have had excellent luck. They don't sell everything though. Last year at the plant auction, they had several different kinds of flowers that I hadn't seen before. I think I'll buy to give them a shot.

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
I've never bought plants from an auction. I have bought gardening tools that were in good condition from one, though. I don't even remember seeing plants being sold at an auction. Are you looking for a particularly rare plant? If not, I'd just go to your local nursery to purchase one or purchase the seeds to grow your own.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
As mentioned - know the sellers or auction house conducting the sale.

Knowing either will give you a good idea of the quality of their wares. Good auctioneers dont sell to poor quality sellers - they have their regulars and wont risk chasing them off for 10% of a low grade sale 1 time.

Amish co-ops regularly hold auctions, it eliminates any "haggling", allows everyone to get the same market driven rate and attracts more buyers to a highly fragmented seller group (could you imagine being a buyer and trying to contact 50+ amish families, much less 500 that some higher population area attract).