Can I Backfeed Through A 110V Receptacle

Alberto

How should I connect a generator to my house? Can I backfeed through a 110v receptacle? It's a gas-powered portable 5000-watt generator with 4 110V plugins, and 1 220v 20-amp twist-lock socket. I'm looking into buying cords and anything else I might need.

IH tractorman

IH tractorman

Farm Hand
they make a switch for that, it mounts in your breaker panel. it will disconnect your home from the grid while you run the generator. most if not all states have laws from back feeding, the reason is if the linemen comes to repair a power outage, you can back feed the line if you forget to cut grid power and electrocute someone, but to your question yes it would work

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
While you can back-feed through a receptacle ... it is not the best idea.

Keep in mind that feeding this way with 110V will only energize one of the bus bars - so, only half the house will get power.

If you are going to back-feed - sending the 220V in through the stove or dryer receptacle would be a better idea ... you just have to make sure you turn off the MAIN and any 220V breakers in the box. 5,000 watts is not enough to run the water heater, A/C or most other 220 devices in a house.

Bill Stecik

Farm Hand
You need a transfer switch to isolate line power It's the law. Failure to have one can result in losing line power permanently and injuring or killing someone

Putnam Homestead

How should I connect a generator to my house? Can I backfeed through a 110v receptacle? It's a gas-powered portable 5000-watt generator with 4 110V plugins, and 1 220v 20-amp twist-lock socket. I'm looking into buying cords and anything else I might need.
As others have mentioned, you should use a transfer switch. Two things that can go bad- 1. IF you accidentally turn on the mains, you will need to call the fire department and possibly an ambulance. 2. Your house wiring to receptacle is usually 12 gauge on older homes and 16 gauge on some newer homes. 12 gauge wires are good for 20 amps. Volts times amps = watts. 120 x 20 = 2400 watts. If you load down your 5,000 watt generator, it will try to give you full power. Even with the best case scenario of 12 gauge wires, this will heat up and burn the wires in your wall because the breaker is on the other end of your circuit, not protecting you.

Pharmaboi

Farm Hand
As others have mentioned, you should use a transfer switch. Two things that can go bad- 1. IF you accidentally turn on the mains, you will need to call the fire department and possibly an ambulance. 2. Your house wiring to receptacle is usually 12 gauge on older homes and 16 gauge on some newer homes. 12 gauge wires are good for 20 amps. Volts times amps = watts. 120 x 20 = 2400 watts. If you load down your 5,000 watt generator, it will try to give you full power. Even with the best case scenario of 12 gauge wires, this will heat up and burn the wires in your wall because the breaker is on the other end of your circuit, not protecting you.
I see what your saying, but the generator also would have a 15amp breaker, correct?

Putnam Homestead

I see what your saying, but the generator also would have a 15amp breaker, correct?
Yes, your generator might be one of the better ones that have a breaker, but the wiring in your house could get very hot before the breaker on the generator kicked off the circuit. Breakers work from heat and your generator will be outside. You might get away with doing this 99% of the time. It’s that 1% that will get ya. Good luck to you either way you go.

markusarilus

markusarilus

This is very important, do not back feed into your existing electrical system unless you are disconnected or have a disconnect between the old service provider and your service entry. It isn't a real difficult process, but there are some very important rules to follow here. You can get the info from an on-line source , there are lots of videos etc., but persons lives can be jeopardized if it isn't done correctly so if in doubt consult a qualified electrician. I don't attempt to explain this procedure or how I have done it because of the liabilities of doing something wrong.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Another thing to consider ...

Perhaps the backfeeding works just fine and you do not burn your house down or kill a lineman working on the lines ... not having the backfed house properly disconnected from the mains can cause two other things that can happen:
  1. When the power company grounds their lines to work on them (their adage is, if it isn't grounded - it isn't dead) it can/will short out your generator and burn out the inverter
  2. Even if the generator escapes being grounded - when the power is restored to the lines ... that will destroy the generator.
It is not all that hard to properly connect a generator to the house ... and it is much better to do it right than quick and cheap