Can I leave them alone?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Another family member usually fills in for me when I need to be away from the farm, but this time we're all heading to an out-of-town wedding. I have chickens, ducks, goats, horses, cats, and dogs. I live in California and I'm not worried about their water freezing. I've taken precautions to combat that and it really doesn't get that cold anyway. I'll be gone for two full days. Could I leave them alone for two days without anyone coming by? The dogs will be outside and our yard is fenced. They will have access to the garage through a doggy door and their dry food will be through an automatic feeder. The cats will be indoors and will have access to their litter boxes and will also be feed with an automatic feeder.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
It might be okay, but I think most animals need put away at night to protect them from predators. That's especially true for the chickens. Can a neighbor help out?

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
Where will the chickens be? Are you leaving them out for two days? I would not do that. The cats and dogs would be fine. How will the outdoor animals be fed?

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
You should have someone watch over them while you're gone. You really should. Actually........did you? That's quite the variety you have. Horses especially should have daily care.

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
You are probably back by now. It might be okay to leave the animals alone for that time period, but personally, I'd feel better if someone came by at least once a day to check on my animals for me. Your goats, chickens, etc will need feeding, too. Fresh water is always good for all animals to have, and unless you have a fountain, the water in a regular bowl doesn't stay fresh very long.