Cheaper to buy?

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
I'm trying to encourage more people in my community to start a garden next spring. I've been growing vegetables, herbs, and fruits for so long that I don't buy much of it at the store, so I'm not familiar with the average prices. What is usually cheaper to buy than it is to grow?

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
Nothing! I think growing your own vegetables is cheaper than buying. It's also more tasty and more nutritious. Of course, growing your own is a lot of work too. It's so worth it though.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Corn is probably cheaper to buy than it is to grow, especially if eating organic vegetables aren't a priority. However, it's good to plant corn because it benefits the soil plus the stalks can be used like a trellis for climbing vegetables. It's cheaper to buy carrots than it is to plant them. I can't think of any reason to grow your own, other than that they taste better.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
Corn here is expensive to buy and half the time it taste like field corn! I would say it's cheaper to buy most vegetable seeds over buying the vegetables at a store. I was spending 3.50 for a quart of green beans from a local farm. To me, that's just crazy.