Combines Class 8 or 9IJIJ

Tom

I agree with you, Kurt. My class 6 R60 can process beans faster than the sickle can cut them. Combine development will be held up by sickles that havent kept up with modern combines. Tom Russell

tbran

..actually that was just a header set up with a special mirror to reflect the image from the compartment in the back that contained my mother in law.... her reflection concentrated into a narrow beam can saw off oak logs at 47 mph....... :-- never went onto production cause 1. couldn't afford to feed her and 2. there are laws against cloning.....

T__langan

Kurt, you have a good point! BUT, I'm sure that there has been skepticism all throughout the history of mechanized harvesting to the same point and it has been overcome. I was at a Gleaner open house last summer where the guest speaker, a Gleaner engineer, stated that AGCO is experimenting with 54 ft headers. And I see no reason why corn heads couldn't be built to 18 or even 24 rows - the problem would be unloading with that wide of a head sticking out in front of you. Perhaps, with genetic engineering, wider headers won't be needed - imagine a corn plant with 6 ears per stalk or 200 bu wheat or 150 bu beans. Crops like that MIGHT even make the venerable R72 sing a high note and require more harvesting capacity with current sized headers.