Commercial potato growers

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I'm a bit confused after watching some YouTube videos about potato harvesting on large farms. The machinery at work on a large-scale potato farm is amazing, but it looked like the potatoes were growing right on top of the soil. There was no digging that I could see. Do commercial growers just grow them on top of the soil? I don't see how it would work. Is it a different type of potato than what home gardeners typically grow?
You can really see it at the 3:00 mark. The potatoes are just sitting on top of the soil, waiting to be harvested.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
The depth and space a farmer opts for will depend on the variety of potatoes being grown. In most cases, smooth soil at a depth of up to 20 centimeters will allow the plants to grow well.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I'm no expert, but I think you're only seeing a portion of what goes into harvesting potatoes. I believe they usually kill the vines several days to weeks in advance. You just aren't seeing that part.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
I've grown many potatoes and I've only ever seen them grown underground. They are really deep, you mound the soil up. I watched the video and I don't think you're watching all of it either.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
Interesting video but I agree that something has to be missing. I don't know of any potatoes that are grown above ground either. You don't have to plant them real deep but they do have to be covered.