Creating a mixed flock

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I'm considering whether to add a different breed of chicken to my flock next spring, mainly because the hens I have right now never seem to turn broody. They lay their eggs and then they're right back out. They've shown no interest in sitting on the eggs in order to hatch them and I'm not keen on taking the incubation route just yet. Which breed does well in urban locations and tends to be broody? Even though I live in a large city, I do have plenty of room on my property to add more chickens. As such, I'd like to steer away from the bantam breeds which might not do as well during the winter. I already have a rooster, should I assume he'll mate with both breeds? Is that a problem? I have no intention of selling chickens for breeding or anything like that where lineage might be taken into consideration.

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Hey Urban Homestead, do you mind sharing what type of chickens you have right now? Some breeds seem to get along better than others and if you have the bossy sort, it's not usually wise to add a docile breed.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
We always just kept the same breed every season. I guess there's some logic to that but now you've got me thinking.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
@Digger, I have Buff Orpingtons. They are easy to care for and fairly tame. They produce a few eggs over the winter period too. Sadly, I might have a problem with my rooster. He's never been able to crow like a normal roster, which is why I got him as I live in the city and didn't want to upset my neighbors. However, I've recently learned that roosters aren't allowed in the area, so he'll probably have to be sent to the stew pot. I'll be sad to lose him. And I guess it's game over for hatching eggs since they won't be fertilized. The hawks that were eyeing up my chickens have moved on, but he was a big part of protecting the flock. I'll have to figure something else out.

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
You could always buy some fertilized eggs in the spring and place them in the nest boxes. If you're still interested in creating a mixed flock, I think Black Australorps will integrate well with your Buff Orpingtons as they're fairly docile and they're good layers. I have a friend who is raising both those breeds together and they get along well. My friend sometimes complains about her Black Australorps becoming broody so that could solve your issue, assuming the problem isn't with your nest boxes. Sometimes people make the nest boxes too small or too shallow, so you might want to check on that. I'm sorry to hear about your rooster!