Combines DA 385 planter

tbran

Will plug only if scrapers are worn or not adjusted. The best design of depth placement and coverage ever built. Replace the plastic hopper bottoms with an aluminium one from landoll!! about 125$ per row last count it is almost mandatory for accuracy that lasts. landoll supplies parts. I have seen air motors replaced with a White blower system.If this planter only had been put on a Frame that would accept true narrow row spacing..... Also hopper bottom to drive alaignment is critical; especially on plastic hopper bottoms. landoll also switched leading coulters on late planters I am told to say 3 left 3 right leading coulters to prevent side draft on hillsides. If one just had the white metering system on this unit....

T__langan

We ran a four row from when the 385 first came out (1986 or '87) untill '96 when we switched to 6-30" and a White planter. We were always more than pleased with it - very accurate seed placement. Our crop scout, who covers a major portion of NW Wisconsin, said our planter was always in the top 5% for seed placement. Also a VERY heavy built planter - more so than our current White. Makes a great no-til planter. Our only dislikes were the marker mounts needed a redesign - something greasable - ours wore a lot and we ended up building the holes back up with weld. We didn't like the coil type fertilizer augers in the hoppers either. If we ran even a small clump of hard fertilizer through them, they would get all twisted up, rub a hole in the hopper bottoms, and loose accuracy. As for the alluminum hopper bottoms that tbran mentioned, we didn't have them but never had problems either. If you buy this planter and need some new seed pads for the metering device, I -think- we have some yet that we'd sell cheap just to get rid of them. let me know if you're interested. Oh, we did have trouble with the standard double disk fert openers plugging with dirt, mud, or residue when they got worn. This can be frustrating when you're in a hurry so keep good openers on the front. Never had any trouble with seed openers plugging. Overall, a great planter and I'd reccomend it to anyone. Good luck!