Diesel or Unleaded Truck

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
We're going to have buy a truck soon. I live in a large city, does that mean it's probably more economical to go with a used truck that uses unleaded gas over one that takes diesel?

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
We're going to have buy a truck soon. I live in a large city, does that mean it's probably more economical to go with a used truck that uses unleaded gas over one that takes diesel?
If your not towing something on a regular basis I would go with a gasser. Diesels are sweet on power but cost more to maintain. Especially if something goes wrong in the fuel system which usually is just a matter of time. I guess it's all up to the individual some don't care what they cost they just like diesels and I can't say I blame them.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Do you enjoy paying $300 every time you need to service the truck?

Do you think stopping at just one station in search of fuel is stupid? Do you like having to remember where the station that sells diesel is located and then calculating how far you can travel away from it before risking running out of fuel?

Do you constantly feel the urge to leave Prius drivers in a cloud of your exhaust?

If these describe you - Go Diesel !!

Otherwise, if you have went this long without needing one...you probably will be fine now.

Used diesel in my experience is just asking to overpay and probably take on someone elses headache. Theres a reason diesel owners keep them forever. Trade in is not favorable and dealers know used diesel trucks are costly to recondition.

Diesel has its practical applications...but for light duty 1/2 ton trucks - go gas. If towing is a daily need - move up to a 3/4 ton gas first. If its not big enough - much easier to trade out of than a diesel resale wise.