Does homesteading = off-grid living?

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I'm just curious about whether the two descriptors are interchangeable. It seems like most of the blogs I run across with a homesteading theme, happen to have families that live in a remote location. So are they the same thing?

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I don't think so ...... to me "off grid" requires some method of power generation (for normal non-emergnecy use) as the place isn't connected to the electrical power grid, where homesteading can include locations that are tied to the larger electrical grid. Likewise living off grid could be done by buying most/all food, whereas homesteading means growing both plants and animals for personal consumption (at a minimum).

So to me they're not the same thing, but there can be a lot of overlap. Depending on the location a combination of off-grid power generation and homesteading may be required due to the remoteness of the location ...or it may just be done for personal preferences to varying degrees of either (or both).

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
Off The Grid implies no modern utilities, while Homesteading is simply being self-sufficient in terms of food, water and even clothing. Living like they did in the 1800's essentially.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I'm an urban homesteader. I'm sure there are blogs out there for urban growers and raising chickens has definitely become an urban thing of late. I consider homesteading to mean being as self-sufficient as possible.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
I agree with the others, they are different things. I would consider my family as trying to be homesteaders (growing our own food, etc.). We don't live off the grid though.
I do love that TV show, Off the Grid.