Combines Drought question

Bert

We have this in the last 2 years in Southwestern Ontario and you will have ear drop. You will have to wait until the moisture level's in the later corn to come down abit. It's going to be a give and take situation though. The dead ears will not take a lot of shaking before they drop. Good luck Bert

big_orange

Drought corn is like frost corn,dry slows,ear droppage will be a concern as will standibility,green areas will be dryer than you think.Good luck,we have the same conditions in East Central Iowa.

Tom_Russell

How do your beans lookIJ I have one variety that is already shedding leaves. It sure looks like an early frost. From Minnesota, the state where nothing is allowed.

MinnR62

Beans look like they have been frozen. Pale and look bad. Corn has been dead for weeks, the ears are small and rubbery. Pro Farmer tour said Minnesota would average 157 this year for corn, 20 bushels better than last year !!! Where are they getting that IJ The neighbor started beans today, wow was there dust.

Gamaman

I'd suggest you get your combine ready and try it to get that first hand look from the combine seat. My drought killed corn in southeast Nebraska is lOADED with stalk rot. I wouldn't normally expect to see stalk rot this bad until late Oct. or early Nov. The drought disrupted normal maturing of the plants and left them fragile and destined to get worse very quickly. Two wind storms in two days has made a bad situation worse by causing major lodging. Have a safe harvest Gamaman