Eat healthy! Need ideas

Moringa-farmer

Farm Hand
It's a difficult thing these days since EVERY other commercial is strong on greasy, cheesy, meaty foods. Yes, I would eat all that and more, if I didn't know about the clogging of the arteries. We all know the scoop now, though. I'm surprised that Mc.D's and the myriad of fast food joints are not required to have WARNING labels on much of their products! So what to do? It's really simple, but not EASY. Just focus on fresh fruits and veggies (lightly steamed). Eat all you want. It's a decision that could save the gentleman's life. Once the doc says something must be done, it's TIME to listen. Besides, who enjoys carrying around extra weight? The food we were created to eat will not work against us. If it does, we weren't intended to eat it. Best of the best to you both!

ndncowboy

ndncowboy

This isn't for everyone, but I've gone to one meal a day and a couple trail mix snacks. The one meal might be normal breakfast stuff or dinner stuff. Usually on a rotational basis I'll have a breakfast meal one day followed the next two days with lunch or dinner type meals. I can't say I'm losing weight but I stopped gaining so much. I've watch how we feed our dogs so said, why not. I actually really like it this way. I fill in with a couple hand-fulls of trail mix. The kind with dried fruit and nuts then I had more of the kinds I like the most so I make one large bag turn into 3 bags. It's really helped in my daily constitutional as well. And I cut my beer intake to almost none. One beer a day down from 6 or 8 depending on how hot it gets. That one there is probably the healthiest move I made.

Grace Grange

Low fat, portion control, and plenty of exercise. Use an app like myfitnesspal too.
Great for you! You will change your ever aging body for the best!

Grace Grange

It's a difficult thing these days since EVERY other commercial is strong on greasy, cheesy, meaty foods. Yes, I would eat all that and more, if I didn't know about the clogging of the arteries. We all know the scoop now, though. I'm surprised that Mc.D's and the myriad of fast food joints are not required to have WARNING labels on much of their products! So what to do? It's really simple, but not EASY. Just focus on fresh fruits and veggies (lightly steamed). Eat all you want. It's a decision that could save the gentleman's life. Once the doc says something must be done, it's TIME to listen. Besides, who enjoys carrying around extra weight? The food we were created to eat will not work against us. If it does, we weren't intended to eat it. Best of the best to you both!
Be a vegetarian one day a week or join the movement for meatless Mondays. A healthy body feels great; being buff, not critical.

Daddio7

Cut out the two or three highest callorie items he eats. I am 67 and retired, I used to start my day with a cup of coffee sweetened with a quarter cup of sugar and three ounces of heavy whipping cream. I now use two tablespoons of sugar, one packet of sacarine and some powdered creamer. Since Thanksgiving I have went from 212 to 196. I also have dropped most high cholesterol meats. My wife works so I do most of the shopping and cooking.

Moringa-farmer

Farm Hand
Daddio7,

Saccharin, if I'm not mistaken, is in the same group as Aspartame. They both are unnatural, and there is always consequences when one consumes unnatural food items. The food industry claims that GMO products are perfectly safe, but are they telling us the truth? Consider what GMO actually is: (Genetically Modified) Crops or Organisms which undergo gene manipulation techniques which facilitate a certain intent; in the case of many staple crops, especially corn and soy, the intent is to modify the plant to withstand a chemical plant killer (broad-spectrum glyphosate-based herbicide) so as to eliminate weeds in the growing field, but allow the crop to survive the chemical's effect. Think about that. So the crops' foliage then uptakes the chemical and the roots no doubt intake some as well. As for the intended "fruit," would you imagine that it is free from the chemical? Think again!
So the question is not whether the chemical is present in the food, but rather, "Is it bad for us?"

I think it safe to say that ANY chemical introduced into our bodies has negative effects. Whether or not one or another can be traced as the culprit to cancer, is a sticky matter. But if we TRY to eat as much home-grown veggies and those which are less likely to contain pesticides, AND give our immune systems a boost by whatever means you know of, then we're at least on the right track. Folks like to think that a "magic pill" is all it takes, but health is a multi-faceted process. I make plenty of mistakes myself, but am learning;

Sometimes the "hard-way!"

Ray

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, nuts and seeds. No grains, no sugar. That is healthy.

Moringa-farmer

Farm Hand
Not to "hog" the thread, but I'd like to inject this as well. Moringa Oliefera is a tropical tree out of India with a wide spectrum of vitamins, minerals, and......well: Moringa oleifera is a plant that is often called the drumstick tree, the miracle tree, the ben oil tree, or the horseradish tree. Moringa has been used for centuries due to its medicinal properties and health benefits. It also has antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory properties. Nov 4, 2017 (source: Google)

It is NOT a cure-all, but rather a shot-gun type coverage policy that MIGHT well supply one's needs if there is a vacancy causing problems. It's natural, safe and grows where I live, in the Philippines. The leaves are dried and powderized and put into capsules. Lots of good reports from diabetics, etc...

There is another peculiar thing that I'd like to mention here. Denge fever and malaria are very nasty to contract. But I heard that the juice from Papaya leaves, is effective and cures Denge in a few days! It's bitter as all get out, but it's fairly well tried and accepted. This interests me, and so the last time I was certainly coming down with a virus of unknown origin or type, I decided to give it a whirl. It was VERY bitter, but I chased it with some coconut water and suffered no upset stomach. My itchy throat, and general down-feeling began to diminish, and the virus never took hold, like it would have if left unchecked. It was just sort of an additional "affront" for good measure. Not a conclusive test, because along with the onslaught of about six shot-glasses (in two days) of the bitter green juice, I also consumed about one whole bulb of finely minced garlic on a couple mayo sandwiches over the same period.

Virus do NOT like me very much!

Yours,
Ray

Eddy Winko

Eddy Winko

Ditch the ground meat and replace with lentils, still good protein but with the added fibre and a lot less fat, which helps to keep things moving :)