Farming Fictions

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Did you grow up believing any farming fictions - old wives tells, bits of wisdom handed down from your parents, or even something you learned (or misunderstood) from an expert? My parents taught me that you can't grow sweet peppers with hot peppers because it will ruin the flavor. They probably just misunderstood what they read or were taught because planting those peppers close together won't alter the flavor, but it will lead to cross-pollination which means if you save the seeds, you'll have a hybrid on your hands. If you don't care about saving the seeds for next year's crop, then it doesn't matter at all.

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
Lightning in the southern skies means dry weather will stay.

There is a certain truth to that......it's called dry lightning and it is a thing in the southwest.

Riin

Riin

Farm Hand
I grow up hearing a lot of different weird fictions, some of them are superstitious fictions. But so far none of them seem to be related to farming.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
When the leaves turn over good chance of rain.
Big flakes of snow means little amount of snow,little flakes of snow means big amount of snow...Big snow little snow,little snow big snow.