Combines Feed Chain Clutches

Dan

Hi Wayne, Ok I'll start from the back and go forward just like the straw when that beloved reverser is engaged. On small rotors extend the second helical from gearbox over feeder opening top corner. Install rock door hump kit. Remove feed chain corn strippers front and rear if not in corn. Remove approx. 1_4" from top of rear feed chain stops and replace large OD washers behind the blocks with smaller OD washers. That is with blocks in grain rear position and remove slightly more that 1_4" on top front corner so block will go up against upper pad fairly square. That will give you more room under rear drum and installing 7" drum will give you more. Feeder shocks must be installed. Install W ring guide flanges on drums to prevent feed chain from jumping flange. OK now pull front chain tention drum and chain out and look right along left and right walls. The square corners you see need to have a piece of iron welded in so you don't have the sharp corner to screw up the flow. Also you will see the heads of some 5_16" bolts right under drive sprockets and I would replace them with pan head screws. Along left wall you will see the head of some 3_8" bolts and I would replace them with pan head also. Now for a biggy. What happens to the straw that puckers up and gets threw from bottom of feed chain slats to the area inbetween the top and bottom of front feed chain slatsIJ OK I'll answer. It builds and builds right in front of the square tube until raddle raddle raddle the slip clutch goes off. When the bale tries to go threw the clutch just can't handle all the torque. You don't see this straw shooting out the front of machine anymore since they installed false floor for the straw can't get to top of chain running forward. Correction would be to install a panel from bottom of square tube forward so material that puckered threw chain slats could not build up and go threw as a slug. Don't forget to move filler inbetween header and feeder housing so you have a smooth floor from header auger to feeder chain. Some of these things seem little but with tough wet straw and a hungry cylinder you need everything you can get. Don't fell to bad about a slipping feeder for you should hear the feeder clutch go off on the 60" feeders (didn't say what color) when they are tring to catch the 40" feeders. Did you know you can get just as much oil threw a 1_4" hose as a 1" hose. Just send it threw faster but keep the kinks out. Thanks for the job offer Wayne. Would I have to learn to say Gleaner in French. Happy feeding. Dan