Combines Feeder House Feeding

s

run the back blocks in the corn position. you can also cut 5_8" off of the top side of the block (when in corn position),and weld it to the bottom of the block. this provides even more clearance under the rear feed drum.

tbran

There are two fixes for this, one is pretty simple that MIGHT help. Install the pulley and belt for the lateral tilt drive which will speed up the chain 10%. 71374737 71368809 The real fix is to do as Hurtt's do and remove the throat and lower the feed floor under the drive sprockets. There are several posts below describing the process.

tbran

OF course the floating drums MUST have the shock kits installed. Forgot about this.

Rolf

Might have some thing for you to try!! Over here in OZ we have a couple of guy's that have played around with feed drum rollers in their Case 2366 they have come up with a feed drum roller called the Posifeed roller, Steven Schulz is the man to contact as he's the one that came up with the idea! and as a result of that we have installed TWO (2) posifeed rollers in to our 94 R62 machine's feeder house! and boy has that made a difference, we only really have dry crops here but the amount of stuff you can shove up there is amazing!!! The posifeed rollers are replacement feed drums for your current feed rollers and are not that hard to install (about a day!) don't be fooled by some fly by nightiers that say that they can make posifeed rollers out of your own feed drums as they have not been laser cut and balanced like the real posifeed rollers!!! (just a warning!!!!) you would need to give you make and model number so as Steven Schulz can get one or two to you, and if you only get one I would recommend that you put it in the back feeder drum spot as that seems the most logical place to start. WE have very little problem in Wheat and now lentils as we are taking 30 ft cut in the lentils at ground level, and we can have 1.5 to 2 ft high lentils laying along the ground. We harvested these lentils as 5+ MPH lot's of MOG going in to the feeder house!!!! One of those things I highly recommend!!! (they should be standard!!!!) Steven Schulz e-mail is stevden@wimmera.com.au "ST and DJ Schulz He's that man you need to talk to. I do believe that one of our Gleaner Gurus might have the right's to them in the US!!!! Im not sure on that but I think there is something in the wind!!!! Rolf

NDDan

For a standard machine that allready has the feeder shocks I would run in grain rear position. That way it will start the feed well after you have left the crop and then re-entered. If you have tailing return to cylinder and running heavy tailings you will have a bunch of crop laying inbetween the feed chains. It can be almost imposible to drag material over that crop to get things going again. That is why we run in grain rear position and it allows the drum to raise to very near max height also. The shocks will stabilize drum height very near to what it needs to be. I can see where some guys that don't run high tailing will turn to corn position and cut off top and add to bottom. Doing that will get drum to a better position to accept a sudden flow of material and will be sitting in a better position after material gets flowing. Gleaner offers a 7" or 8" rear tention drum option from the plant. My opinion is they get rid of the confusion and fix that transition area you talk about instead of making options that make little difference. While all I hear from Gleaner is the feeder is maxed out. I know different. I started with getting rid of the square corners and hex head bolts that were in the area of straw flow and went on from there. I have not tried one of those posi-feed rollers but plan to some day. I have run force feed chains and you just about name it. One of the biggest improvements has been to lower feed floor under front feed sprockets. That did two things: One is it gave more room in the very tightest location of feeder system and two it improved angle of feed into rear drum for most all header height running positons. That mod is not so easy to do so I'm working extra hard to prove this to Gleaner. I'm finding that the easiest way to do this is to lower the front of rear floor at the same time so the geometrics of the whole thing works out fairly well. If I were you I would get ahold of Gleaner and tell them how lost you would be without the wonderful feeder reverser. Don't forget about the rest of the topics like rock door hump and third helical extention across feeder for it all has to do with feeding. let us how your getting along or any questions. Good luck

turbo

I am going to blow a little steam. I do not think Gleaner is Going to respond though I admire your attempts. If it were so simple would they not have fixed it long ago. That combine works best in the dryest desert conditions possible. They don't sell any in High humity areas like Europe or Rice country. They are not spending much on research on the R series from what I hear. (Do they spend much on research periodIJ They just buy another company and milk it for all its worth.) The feeder house is maxed out. If the fixes work, they only work in certain conditions and do not increase capacity substancialy. I have made a lot of round bales between the two feeder chains. Nothing solves the problem like a wide feeder house with one chain. The answer from Agco is a Massey or Challenger. I have run one side by side a Gleaner and if you want feeding in tough conditions there is no comparison though the feeder chain can jump a tooth on it also. Not having enough research on it either in my opion. But plugging is not a problem. I am not saying the rest of the Massey concept is any better but the feeding sure is. On the R-Series they have been back and forth on big drums, little drums, extended drums, sped up feeder chains, false floors, abrasive resistance floors, thicker floors, stainless floors for front chain,then no stainless, one piece feeder slats, two piece feeder slats, clutch on rear feeder chain, no clutch on rear feeder chain, strippers on front feeder chains in and then out, same for back chain, little sprockets on rear feeder chain drive, then chromed little sprockets, then big sprockets, then chromed sprockets, then hardened shafts, then bigger shafts. It seems to me they just go in circles and are out of ideas except for a wider feeder house. Reliability is for another day.

NDDan

Thanks Turbo, We all need to blow off a little steam now and then. If your like me you sure don't want to do it hear. I'd much rather just share modifications that we've found necesary to do. Sometimes it takes many angles to get a big companys attention. I have asked myself so many times that if it is so simple then why don't they do it. I have no answer to that but I know their answer is it will work there but not hear or hear but not there. I suppose that could be true here and there or there and here. I used to think I was in my own little world up here near the geografical center of North America but I know different these days. Much of the same problems I see with combines hear are all over the world. It weights very heavy on my mind that something I suggest will work here but not there. I can be quite sure that streamlining feeder will work here, there, and everywhere. You mention Europe which brings up a conversation I had with a Gleaner Rep one time. They said they demoed some machines somewhere over there where conditions were damp and tough. That was before extending bars and feeder shocks so I'll give you one guess how that turned out. That was about as silly as a Gleaner Rep and another dealer Rep who come close to my back door to demo a R75 in edible beans. What a joke that was. You just can't do edible beans in damp overcast conditions without something like rotor sweeps installed. Anyway this is getting to long again so back to feeder. I know a wider feeder is a fine idea but how can we incorporate that without major changes all the way to and including concave. They can bring the present feeder to another level very easily without adding a bunch of parts to there system (allready been there done that for them). There's a couple machines coming north from Texas with moded feeders and they are forgeting where reverser button is but the real test will be when they get up north where we've been testing them. We could make a longer or shorter list of things that have changed over that years depending on how many years we want to go over or how specific on changes they made (what brand couldn'tIJ). I'd still much rather stay with the two chains as opposed to feeder ears, pre-threshers, ect. ect. I just don't think there is a way to beat the consistancy of natural flow threw the tough going, easy going, high yeild, and low yeild all within the same field. So give me a refined feeder that can handle the flow of these hungry and getting hungrier Gleaner rotarys. For what it is worth this has been JUST MY OPINIONS. Better shut it off hear for now. Have a good one.

turbo

The only thing I know will surely get their attention is dropping sales. They are going to lose a lot of long time Gleaner customers if they do not make some changes fast. I am one. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. And not only in the low humidity high plains area. Pass it on to who it matters.

turbo

Owe and by the way. If I had a great dealer like you in my area things would be a lot better. Keep up the good work. The good Agco dealers are few and far between. Agco rides with the dealers to their grave around here.

Joe

loewen is manufacturing the Posifeed rollers for Schulz in North America.