Combines Fire in 84 N6

Mactech

I don't have any input on your fire, but with the heat and vibration produced on combines, I'd think it'd be worth the money to have stainless steel braided lines for fuel and hydraulic lines. The stuff will take an incredible amount of abuse and pressure. It'd cost quite a bit, but hose failures would probably drop to zero. Jeremy

Fred

Jeremy: I believe that the fuel line was intact when the fire started. There was no evidance of a fuel trail on the ground comming into the yard.

Hyper_Harvest_II

Fred, With the combine already toast(Sorry to hear this!)it may be hard to find the cause.But,I would have a suspicion that the bearings in the hydro drive pulley may be the cause.WhyIJBecause there is two bearings in this pulley that are non-greasable.When they get dry and are still running,they can throw sparks.I have seen this before.On the later Denison hydros they added a grease zerk.(But,guess what,it is not in the operators manual.)Worth checking into,but may be hard to find with combine being burnt.Try to wiggle the drive sheave for play and see what you find. Hyper Harvest II

ghost

last year our R50 caught fire down by the hydro unit. I had transported home the night before and brother had found the smoldering fire the next morning. I have had four fires that I have caught and put out this fall. Bean dust in engine compartment and two down below around the hydro and fan intake. I suspect that the magnetic sep. clutch may be throwing enough sparks to ignite dust either around the clutch or the fan intake area. Burning embers are then thrown into the combine and either fire up or go out. Have been working overtime to keep these areas clean and so far its paid off.