Freeze branding

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
What is your opinion on freeze branding? Do you use that identification method? I'm an Angus cattle rancher and to register the cows I'm required to permanently identify each cow. My cattle have ear tattoos, which are simple enough to do, but it doesn't help with identifying them while at a distance. The ear tags I've used have been unreliable, so branding the cows would make life easier. My wife considers branding of any sort barbaric, but from I've read, freeze branding is an ethical method of identification. These cattle are our livelihood. We do breed them and eventually send them to slaughter, but we also try to treat them well, and they are pasture-raised, grass-fed cattle. Is freeze branding humane or does it overly distress the cattle more than other identification methods?

Logan

Logan

Farm Hand
Studies indicate that freeze branding is less painful than hot branding, but I'm sure it's still very painful. I'd say freeze branding is the more humane way to mark your cattle, but I wouldn't personally brand my livestock. I use ear tattoos. Is there a reason you need to be able to identify your cattle from a distance?

Julianna

Julianna

Farm Hand
Surely ear tattoos cause some level of pain too, and it's probably a long process. I think hot branding livestock is rough, but I see nothing wrong with freeze branding livestock.

Last edited:
The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
Is there a reason you need to be able to identify your cattle from a distance?
To quickly identify the year they were born. One of our services allows the buyer to come in and pick out a cow which will then be processed, butchered up, frozen, and delivered to the owner. It saves the buyer money to buy the whole cow this way and it makes them feel better to see that the cow was treated humanely. This has become a big deal in recent years, so it's a huge marketing tool and word of mouth really gets around.

fatcow

To quickly identify the year they were born. One of our services allows the buyer to come in and pick out a cow which will then be processed, butchered up, frozen, and delivered to the owner. It saves the buyer money to buy the whole cow this way and it makes them feel better to see that the cow was treated humanely. This has become a big deal in recent years, so it's a huge marketing tool and word of mouth really gets around.

i have found that the alpha numerical system and ear notching to be pretty good. it is permanent and can be applied when the calf is born or at any time they go through the chute.