Getting rid of weeds naturally

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
The effect of weeds is that they rob plants of space and much-needed nutrients. Back in the day, we'd make a carpet out of a newspaper, and this would block oxygen and sunlight from reaching the soil, hence smothering weeds and preventing others from growing! Are there any natural methods that apply to a big farm and that don't release harmful chemicals?

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Some use white or black plastic on roll.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Landscape fabric is probably the easiest method, but it can get pricey if you're covering a large area. I don't use herbicides or anything else like that. I take the newspaper route that you mentioned and I add a layer of cardboard on top. It's inexpensive and it seems to do the trick.

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
The suggestions here are good for a yard, price wise, but if you're talking major acreage you may have no other choice than herbicides. Just pick a type that targets the types of weeds you have.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
The suggestions here are good for a yard, price wise, but if you're talking major acreage you may have no other choice than herbicides. Just pick a type that targets the types of weeds you have.
Much as I have mixed vinegar, table salt, and liquid dish detergent to kill weeds, this is not a method that suits a large farm. Would we say that crop rotation is a proven natural form of weed control?