Combines Gleaner sizes

Farmer_Ed

I would definately go with the F! The sizes in order I believe are E, F, M, l. They also had updates and such which they would place a 2 behind them, like F2, or the last ones were with a 3, such as F3. The E would probably be enough machine, but the F is very inexpensive to buy and the parts availability is substantial. There are a lot of headers for these machines as well. Allis Chalmers sold a lot of them. I have heard that the diesel engines are good, all of ours have the straight 6 292GM engine. I'm not much of a GM_Chevy man but this engine is the best engine they made in my book!!! lots of power, smooth running and easy and cheap to get parts for. We run a couple of them and an F2 and they work excellent in all of our specialty crops so I know they do good in small grain. That's my opinion so take if from there! Be happy to talk with you more on this matter if need be.

DannyBoy

The E (27 inch cylinder) could run a 10-15 foot grain header 10 is best for soybeans. We ran 12' but in weedy beans would have to drop a row. It can run a 2 row wide or 3 row narrow(30") corn head. The grain tank is somewhere in the 60-70 bushel range. The F: 3-4 row corn 13-20 grain head Combine. The M: 4-6 row corn and 13- 22' Grain Head combine. The l: 4-8 row corn and 13'- 24' Grain Head combine.

PETE

As a absolute minimum I would go with an F2 with the longer shoe (79'or newerIJ) and the 4 cylinder turbo charged diesel. lots of capacity and power, easy to work on, very durable combine with parts,heads,etc.. still very available, plus there are lots of Gleaner Guru's out there that can help you make that combine run like a well oiled clock. last but not least there are alot of low hour machines out there at very reasonable prices, at least in my area there are (Eastern Ia).

larry

I would try and buy the biggest machine you can. An old l2 would be a nice size. Thats the great advantage when buying old equipment you can afford to get lots of capacity. I normally only have about 250 acres in grain also. I now have a IH1480 a bit of overkill but it sure its nice. Our falls here are not very friendly at times. So you don't have alotof time to get the crop off some years. Plus I have alot of hay to make at the same time as harvest.