Global food security

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
Are we close to the point where there is sufficient food for everyone? In an ideal sense, it is vital to have a safe and nutritious food supply. How can we work to decrease say, greenhouse gas emissions, and the levels of carbon in the soil? Climate change feels like the biggest threat to global food security!

Trubadour

Trubadour

Farm Hand
I would bet that if we fix the supply chain of the food grown, we could also help the environment. I have no numbers to back that up, it's just a hunch.

We have more than enough food for everyone in the world. What we have is a supply chain problem. That's why people are starving in Africa while grains in silos around the world are sitting there to the point where it goes bad.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
We have more than enough food for everyone in the world. What we have is a supply chain problem. That's why people are starving in Africa while grains in silos around the world are sitting there to the point where it goes bad.
Do you think it's really a supply chain problem or is it more of a selfish problem? Maybe selfish isn't the right word I'm looking for. I haven't dealt with that side of farming, but isn't food wasted on purpose in order to keep prices high (maybe stable is a better word)?

I've noticed my friends and extended family waste a ton of food because they're not willing to eat it past the expiration date, even if the food looks and smells perfectly safe. I think changing how we determine and label expiration dates would help somewhat. What do you think?

Moringa-farmer

Farm Hand
Since "supply problems" certain do exist, as mentioned, it would be natural to think that a "point of use" system would be at least a contributor to the solution. Home gardening is available to nearly everyone who has a yard. Even some potted vegetation on the patio is helpful if that's all you have. But for those with a small amount of yard, it is a shame to not capitalize on the potential benefit. Nearly everyone has a bit of grass and a couple of trees, all of which produce "green-waste" and SHOULD be retained at the premises for compost and/or ground cover to eliminate weeds and conserve water, and feed the worms, etc. It's easy, fun, and lessens the landfills, and a whole bunch of negatives to boot!