Goats as a companion to other livestock

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
Let's face it, most of our livestock are herd animals and they're meant to live in a group. Solitary life can cause all sorts of health and behavioral problems. Yet, so many people insist on raising one dairy cow, one horse, or one pig. Maybe that's due to land restrictions or the costs associated with feeding large animals, which is understandable, but all is not lost since you can add a goat as a companion. Goats are highly adaptable and curious animals and they'll generally bond outside their species. So if you have a single cow who keeps escaping or a single horse who won't eat much, consider adding a goat to ease their situation.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
When I was a kid we had one cow. It always escaped from its pen. Not sure what it was looking for. Probably grass. It would just wander around until it found a fence it couldn't get past and just stand around. Sheep on the other hand would escape and then try to get back into their pen. :p

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
I agree with you because goats can be great companions both for people and animals. They have charming personalities as well. Pygmy goats and Kinder goats are the most preferred companion goat breeds.

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I knew that goats tend to be social animals, but I didn't know they would make good companions for other livestock. Can you keep a goat with the other livestock or do you just let them socialize and house the goat elsewhere on the farm?

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
I knew that goats tend to be social animals, but I didn't know they would make good companions for other livestock. Can you keep a goat with the other livestock or do you just let them socialize and house the goat elsewhere on the farm?
Goats are many things to a farmer, as they are also efficient in converting sub-quality grass matter (that other livestock would avoid) into quality lean meat. As far as I know, the common animals that live together are goats and cattle.