Greening up the cattle operation

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
I think there's a bit of a debate about whether raising cattle for beef, leather, and other goods, harms the environment terribly. Either way, I'd like some suggestions for making the operation more environmentally friendly.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I always thought it was the methane that cows produce that caused the biggest environmental issue. If you could figure out a methane reduction plan it would help. That might be impossible though - I've never raised cattle. I think just being conscious of the issue helps a person become more environmentally friendly. The little things add up and from what you've mentioned before on this forum, you're already doing your part.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
Raising cows does no major damage to the environment. Cows have been here in their current form for over 10,000 years. Linky Link Methane and all.

We have not.

China does more harm to the earth's environment than anything else today so please, leave Bessie alone.

Amanda

Amanda

Farm Hand
Instead of focusing on the cattle, maybe it would be more feasible to add alternative sources of power like wind and solar to your ranch. Those changes would benefit the environment and could save you money down the road. It's a big investment to make the transition though.
China does more harm to the earth's environment than anything else today so please, leave Bessie alone.
That doesn't really help though since none of us can control China. India's laws and enforcement are also lax in this area. And in the United States, it's the big businesses who do the most damage to the environment. But we can't control any of that. All we can do is control our own operations and make them as environmentally friendly as possible within reason. And on that note, I applaud the OP for making the effort. I often don't.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
It's not rocket science. The issues are trying to scale beef production so big that the natural process can't be replicated. That's my opinion anyway. If all the cows were happy organic cows eating naturally growing grass we'd have enough beef for one burger every 5 years.

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
Since this looks like a hobby farm chat, I propose hobby farm solutions. I very much doubt there are very many 400 head operators asking these kinds of questions.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
@Breadtrk I'm not a hobby farmer. I don't deal with 400 head of cattle, but this is our livelihood. I've done well raising ethical beef. We breed 'em, grow 'em, show 'em. and sell 'em, all right here.

I live in Texas and we've had some bad times these past few years. It sounds very granola of me, but there's something about seeing all that devastation in person that made me more in tune with changing my own ways. Plus, ethical beef goes for top dollar and I thought greening up my operation might be another selling point, so it's not 100% altruism that lead me to ask.

LONGHORN/GALLOWAY

Have few registered texas longhorns, registered belted galloways,and then have some longhorn/belted galloway crosses, Have used longhorn bull on belted galloway cows, galloway bull on longhorn cattle, longhorn bull on longhorn cows, and galloway bull on galloway cows, I am retired and bought some registered longhorns after few years added the registered galloways, the problem i am having is that all of these varities take longer to mature, This is a grass and hay operation with free choice mineral and salt blocks, no grain and no intention of adding grain, it typically takes my cattle twenty four to thirty months to reach maturity, where i am at cattle over 30 months cant be processed. I prefer 800-1000 pound cows. I also dont want to have to pull huge calves. Is there another breed i could add to my herd to help with decreasing maturity without calf pulling. i would like to have a cow that will wean a calf half her size at around 240 days. Any suggestions?

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Have few registered texas longhorns, registered belted galloways,and then have some longhorn/belted galloway crosses, Have used longhorn bull on belted galloway cows, galloway bull on longhorn cattle, longhorn bull on longhorn cows, and galloway bull on galloway cows, I am retired and bought some registered longhorns after few years added the registered galloways, the problem i am having is that all of these varities take longer to mature, This is a grass and hay operation with free choice mineral and salt blocks, no grain and no intention of adding grain, it typically takes my cattle twenty four to thirty months to reach maturity, where i am at cattle over 30 months cant be processed. I prefer 800-1000 pound cows. I also dont want to have to pull huge calves. Is there another breed i could add to my herd to help with decreasing maturity without calf pulling. i would like to have a cow that will wean a calf half her size at around 240 days. Any suggestions?
Hi there! I'm glad you decided to join us. I think you should copy/paste your reply and start your own thread for your situation is different than the one being discussed. I think you'll get better answers if you do! You can title the thread, Suggestions for Longhorn Cattle, or whatever it is you're looking for (I'm not a cattlewoman, so sorry if my terminology is off). People here are really helpful. Just start a new thread, so they'll know what you need help with.