Group farming

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
We are always talking about the sustainability of farming systems and food security, drawing comparisons between large commercial and small family farms. With group farming, farmers share capital, labor, and farm management responsibilities, thereby boosting their capacity to innovate, negotiate or invest. Is this one method that can lead to sustainable production? Which category of farmers does group farming suit?

The Rutherford Family

Farm Hand
I've seen it work well in communes. I did a research study on a communal living and at that time, there were a few thriving communes in the United States. All of them had massive gardens and the people seemed to be doing well. I wouldn't want to live that way, but it seems to work for some people.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
I've seen it work well in communes. I did a research study on a communal living and at that time, there were a few thriving communes in the United States. All of them had massive gardens and the people seemed to be doing well. I wouldn't want to live that way, but it seems to work for some people.
It certainly works for some people and doesn't work for others. I am curious to know what the research findings were? What are some of the challenges associated with group farming?

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
This is a very interesting topic. Is this big farms or communal gardens? I love the idea of communal gardens. We have talked about starting this in one of our newly purchased fields.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
This is a very interesting topic. Is this big farms or communal gardens? I love the idea of communal gardens. We have talked about starting this in one of our newly purchased fields.
Group farming works well when farmers are deliberate about what they want to achieve. Farm management responsibilities need to be distributed well. What challenges do farmers face with this farming model?