Combines Growing corn in wheat country

Dennis

If you see a silver combine cutting corn stay way back the cobs will knock you out . They can be lethal wepons if the spreador is on fast.

The_Red

Nice photos. You might want to add what state Columbia County is in. When I think of Dayton I assume Ohio but I know that isn't correct from the pictures.

The_Red

Pretty country. I was guest of the USAF winter survivial many moons ago and froze to death in Colville National Forest the week after Thanksgiving. We could see Canada on some of the hills.

jw

I live in Western KS. There is now much dryland corn grown out here, where 15 years ago, you didn't see any (17-20" rainfall). In NW part, it has gotten to where many elevators will no longer take grain sorghum, since they can fill up with corn which is more consistent in grade, moisture, etc. Have some neighbors who grow 1000-1500 ac. per year. They started in 1989, and have a 92 bushel average over the 10 years. They expect some 120 bushel corn this year, with a wet summer. Many acres of dryland soybeans now grown also.