Hay question

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
If you grow hay do you use round or square bales when it comes time to bale. Is there any benefit of one or the other? I always wondered this when I see both types of bales in a field.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
It's a matter of convenience for both baling and feeding. I've made both round and small square bales when I was producing hay. Round bales are easier to produce, because you don't have to hand stack them in the barn. I found round bales are easier to feed large animals, like horses and cows, and small square bales are easier to feed smaller animals like goats and sheep. It's mostly just a matter of preference.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I don't grow hay year round, but whether the hay bale is square or round is simply based on the machinery that was used. I think square bales are easier to stack, but other than that, there's not much difference between the two.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I agree with both of the previous posters, it's just a matter of preference. I do both, round and square. I think the square bales sell better for me. I'm not sure why the other farmers like the square ones better. They are a lot easier to stack.

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
I don't grow hay year round, but whether the hay bale is square or round is simply based on the machinery that was used. I think square bales are easier to stack, but other than that, there's not much difference between the two.
I agree that the type of machinery used is what makes the difference, with the nutrient content being the same. I think what caused the shift to large round bales are the labor requirements. It is also less time-consuming to make the round bales.