How long can you avoid shopping?

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I got to thinking about this yesterday after seeing some news reports about the coronavirus, so I did an informal inventory of the supplies and food that we have on hand. I'd say that we could go three to four months before we'd need to get anything at the store or have it delivered to us. That's when I'd run out of detergent and pet food. What about you?

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
Theoretically, we could live off the land and we could make our own supplies forever, but that would also mean using herbs as medicine instead of getting our prescriptions at the pharmacy. Not sure I'd take that route, I guess we could if we had to.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Thru winter months we could visit super market twice month,during growing season once month...if there will there a way to get by.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
Excluding the perishable items I buy weekly (which is about a dozen eggs, 1/2 - 1 gallon of milk, 1 to 2 gallons of fresh OJ, and bread every other week),it could be several weeks/few months. Though since I usually also need to refill my truck with gas on a weekly basis I generally buy a week (or week and half) worth of perishables and restock any long-shelf life items I've used in the last week.

Haven't quite figured out a practical method of going longer on with the perishable items since buying a cow, and having chickens isn't exactly an option at this point due to other considerations....

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
If I go on a diet and not eat as much, I could wait a month. Once a month is usually when I go and stock up.

Tia37

Farm Hand
I still need to go shopping for at least once a week. I have already tried my best, honestly. I used to shop for like 3 times a week. But right now I don’t see problems for once a week so far. If the situation gets worse though, I might rethink about my strategy.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
We could go for at least two months, excluding the perishables. As a result, we go shopping at least once a week. There was panic buying late last month, but it didn't go on for long.