How long has farm been in family?

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
My husband grew up on our farm, as did his father. We are only a 3-generation farm family. I say only because I've met people who have had 6 or 7 generations. How many is yours? Do you think your kids or other family members will keep at it?

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
I hope my kids will want to run the ranch when I'm gone, but I try not to pressure them. Two of them work for me now. We're a family run business, so I should have someone who will take over the ranch when I'm ready to retire. Maybe it will be a niece or nephew if my kids move on to other things.
My husband grew up on our farm, as did his father.
That's something to be proud of.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I'm a second generation farmer, but this isn't the same farm or land that my parents own. I wanted to go in a different direction, and they were nowhere near retirement age anyway.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
I think that is great! I worked on my uncle's farm but he's still working on it. I do hope that your farm stays in your family. I've seen too many farms get sold off lately.

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
We have a couple of nephews that are a bit older than our children. They are very active in our farm. I'm sure it will stay in the family somehow. I love reading about other families too. Here's to many years of family farming.