How Many Pounds In A Half Ton

Sanford

How many pounds can I haul in a half-ton truck? What's the most you have carried or towed?

Syd. L

Syd. L

Farm Hand
Look at the specs on either the inside of your front door, on the frame in that same area or, better still, the owners manual.

Highlandcross

A lot depends on how far you are going, is this going to be a recurrent task, and the load rating of your tires. What is on the door frame is what is safely recommended by the factory. I have hauled 5000 pounds of short-iron scrap in a shortbed dodge, once, for probably 10 miles. Scary trip to say the least. I have also hauled a cord of dry split oak in the same truck, again it was a short haul a d I had nothing else. You can haul it, but stopping that load takes some planning. Remember, you do not have the braking area on a half-ton that you do on a 3/4 and 1-ton.

ch1ch2

ch1ch2

Farm Hand
I once hauled a bunch of RR ties in the back of a very little Toyota truck.
60 miles doing wheelies. Was not fun. I had no idea what I was getting into.

MoparSparko

MoparSparko

Farm Hand
It is meant by half-ton that the load capacity is 1000 lbs. Towing is a whole different critter. We've pulled kicker hay wagons fully loaded behind half-ton pickups with no issues, so I guess it depends on what you're going to do specifically.

John G

How many pounds can I haul in a half-ton truck? What's the most you have carried or towed?
Half ton (US) is 1,000lbs, which has little to do with what you can load or tow.
I have inquired many times for the F150 I once owned and then the GMC 2500 Near as I can can figure you need to nget the manufacturer's spec for your vehicle as towing varies with gearing and engine . I have had 1,500 lbs in the F150, but the ground was flat, and it was not 100F, so as an Engineer , I felt it was safe.
I once had 2,500lbs in the F150 and the the headlights clearly were shining up at an angle. i would not recommend it. Good Luck

Muddybottom

Muddybottom

I've had too much gravel in the bed and the front tires had a poor grip on the road making steering hazardous. These days I try to stick with what the manufacturer recommends.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
don't forget about correct load rated tires

This sentiment is key to staying out of trouble. I've seen people way over load or towing way over load and that's all good until something breaks then it became a wasted money doing something stupid kind of day.