How To Adjust A Clutch On A Semi

Nathanael

I need help with how to adjust a clutch on a semi. I'm having a hard time getting it into gear to start. It's fine once it's going and shifting between gears.

Norm W

Farm Hand
Sounds like your clutch brake isn't working. Check out the web for instructions on your particular clutch.

MoparSparko

MoparSparko

Farm Hand
If it has a clutch brake in it, it should only be pushed to the floor when sitting still. If it was pushed to the floor while in motion, the clutch brake is more than likely toast. All non-synchronized transmissions will grind while attempting to put in gear when sitting still, that's just the way it is. Clutch adjustment usually is accessable from an access plate on the bell housing where you rotate the adjustment clockwise or counter-clockwise with a prybar to get the desired free-play in the pedal. You want about 1 1/2 inches of freeplay at the top of the pedal. If the clutch engages about 6 inches from the floor, that's about right. Every individual truck is going to be a little bit different from another. Hope this helps, as I'm not familiar with what truck you may have.

ms&r

Farm Hand
It should only be pushed to the floor while placing the transmission in gear to move, do not push all the way to the floor while siting stopped until ready to place in gear. Also there is a special tool that can make that job a lot easier unless you have a person you can trust to hold the clutch pedal down while adjusting the clutch.

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
This is really one of those deals.... They way you asked the question, the question itself... Take it to a trusted mechanic before you mess it up.