How-to avoid construction machinery

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
When I buy used machinery how can I make sure that it wasn't used for a commercial construction business? I'm assuming that the machinery used for commercial construction would be used harder than what I'd get from a farmer.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss their machinery. Any business is likely to take care of their equipment because they need it to last. However, if you're dead set against it, just ask what the equipment was used for before you buy.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
If you're shopping around online at auction sites and such, it will sometimes say where the machine came from. I can see your side of it. Why you'd want to avoid those machines. A farmer is likely to put less wear and tear on a backhoe, bulldozer, or even a skid. Pinewood Acres makes a good argument too though.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
This is a valid point but I don't know how you would know for sure. You could ask, but people aren't always honest when they are trying to sell something. I wouldn't want commercial equipment either. To me it would have more man hours.

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
This is an interesting question. Honestly I don't know how you would know for sure (unless you knew the people you were buying it from). I would hope that the seller would be honest, but you just never know.