How to Get Kids Interested in Gardening

• Thread starter ChickensAndCows
  • Start date
ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
I'm trying to get my family interested in gardening. I have a pretty big garden and I would like some help with it. So far, my kids haven't show much interest. I'd like that to change! :)

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Ask them what they want to grow to eat, help them plant it, and help them take care of it. It's usually best to start with one or two plants, so they don't get overwhelmed. Is it too late to try that? That's how I got my son involved. If you want help with your garden, then their children should be willing to help. That's not the same as trying to get them genuinely interested in it though. I'd make it a chore if they aren't willing helpers. Relationships are give and take. They'd best learn that now. I'm sure you do a lot for them that you'd rather not do.

Charli

Farm Hand
I love your answer @Almost Eden. That is brilliant! If it is something that they can take ownership of, I find that helps too. My children just loved to help because I put them out there with me at a very young age.

GoatGal

GoatGal

Farm Hand
I've found that if I give my kid their own row, they are more invested in gardening. One of my kids decided to grow kale this year, which isn't something we've done before. My son is so invested in his row of kale! I think letting them feeling involved will be how you generate interest.