Combines How to remove vertical unloading augar

Old_Pokey

I just did this last week. My 1680 still has the 90 degree bevel gears on it. If you can get to the pin holding the vert auger to the gear box, remove the pin. Then remove all drive chains and belts. Use what ever means you have available to hold up on the bottom drive plate, or drive sprockets. I took a small chain and rapped it around the drive shaft between the double sprokets for safety. Then I put a vise grips on the auger flighting to keep the auger itself from falling out untill I wanted it to. Then remove all the bolts around the bottom plate, there will be shims in between the plate and the tin auger housing. Then you just have to get creative with breaking the rust loose and getting things to drop out. The bottom plate where the drive shaft is, is seperate from the vert auger, so be carefull about how you handle it when it comes loose. As long as you dont take apart the 90 degree gear box up inside the auger tube, you should'nt have any trouble retiming the augers, just write it down or take a picture of it before you take it apart. Personally, I'm going to put new bearings and seals in that gearbox while I have it apart cause I dont want to take it apart again.:) Mine all came out in one piece with the auger still attatched to the drive plate cause it was all gummed up where the auger and shaft meet. I did it myself, but it was pretty heavy to handle. I also am running single 30.5x32s so I had plenty of clearence between the tire and frame. If you're running duals or something narrow, check to make sure you have enough room for the whole setup to come down.

jp

Have replaced this auger a couple times, most recently last Thursday. Old Pokey pretty well summed up the best way. I've always taken the tire off, a little more work, but makes it so much easier when you are working down around there. Pull off the lower gearbox, then bring the auger straight down. When you reinstall, it is important to make sure the horizontal auger trails the vertical auger by 90 degrees. Should be a sticker on the auger that clearly shows it, but we all know how stickers can disappear over time. I dont' remember off the top of my head when they switched from a pin_cotter holding the vertical auger to the upper gearbox and went to the much nicer splined hub. I know our 1640 had the pin, the 2300s have the splines, haven't done any work in this area on the machines in between. Would assume you have the pin_cotter setup, make very sure you have the correct hardness pin_cotter when you reinstall. I found out the hard way that pulling a cotter out of of drawer and sticking in there didn't work, grain wore it out very quickly and everything came to a halt rather quickly once the pin worked itself out.

boog

jp, Ever notice how that pin only comes out when the grain tank is fullIJ :~(. Really helps to be left handed to get that pin back in and that hard steel cotter pin is a SOB to bend. We replaced the unload augers in our 2366 two years ago. We removed the tire and lowered the old auger out using a pallet and a forktruck. Did the same for installing the new one. Sure was a lot easier than when we replaced the one in the 1660 by hand several years ago.

cryseed

IF you have open gears and no gearbox while you are going to all the work its a good idea to switch over to the gearbox because if you have to later it cost more. the gearbox auger is different on the bottom then the open gear auger. when you buy the gearbox the auger comes with. when I changed mine I didn't take the wheel off and it came out fine. good luck

Old_Pokey

cryseed you would'nt happen to remember about how much that conversion cost would yaIJ If you dont wish to state your personal price here, that's ok but could you give me an idea what it sells for in your stateIJ Here in oregon, at my local dealer, it was well over $1200.00. Were you having trouble with your open gears before you converted it overIJ If so, what crops seem to give you the most troubleIJ

cryseed

I think that was about what it cost. ON my combine I replaced the open gears two times this fall which gets costly. then the third time I decided to bit the bullet and get the gearbox and when you replace that. the up auger drive is diff.so you have to get the auger and gearbox together. I was combining wet wheat almost all are wheat came off from 18-23 moister. lots of fun.