How To Start A Stihl Chainsaw

Mattocks

I don't know how to start a Stihl chainsaw the first time, or just about any time. It's brand new and has only started twice.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
This is a joke thread. Stihl chainsaws always start first try. :cool:

smuellersd

With any chain saw that is cold:
- move switch to ‘on’ position
- open choke
- pull starter rope until first time saw tries to start
- close choke
Unit should start within a couple, three pulls

Frank Surber

This is a joke thread. Stihl chainsaws always start first try. :cool:
Maybe when new. I bought a new MS170 3 years ago as a back up saw for my old Stihl 028 that was getting old and hard to start. I figured the Ms170 was an imitation chain saw at best because of how cheaply made it looked, but the MS170 did great the first year never had anything run through it but the stihl fuel the 2nd winter the 028 was easier to start than the 170 so took it to a Stihl repair center after $75.00 the guy handed it back and said it was good as new. used it that winter. and all through the summer until this fall it kept getting harder and harder to start I change the so called air filter every 3 tank fulls because it will be clogged. I got so flustered with the piece of plastic junk that I was ready to huck it into the trash. Fortunately or unfortunately a tree rolled off a pile on it and smashed it.
I still use the old 028 now and then but will never buy another Stihl product. Better off to just buy a cheap no brand at 1/10 the cost and throw them in the trash at the end of each season

Reactions: MC

ranch hand

Always remember this:
When finished using the saw, drain all fuel from the tank, start saw and run until it quits.
Always use leaded gas, not the crap forced on you at most gas stations; I get mine from co-ops but some areas do have leaded gas at the local gas stops, just not in my area. Non-leaded will ruin the carb and also make for hard starting.

Ranch Hand

Snow Farmer

Farm Hand
Always remember this:
When finished using the saw, drain all fuel from the tank, start saw and run until it quits.
Always use leaded gas, not the crap forced on you at most gas stations; I get mine from co-ops but some areas do have leaded gas at the local gas stops, just not in my area. Non-leaded will ruin the carb and also make for hard starting.

Ranch Hand
With all due respect Ranch Hand, I'm not aware of leaded gas being available anywhere, except maybe Av-gas at an airport, and they are not supposed to sell it for non aviation use.
The problem with today's gasoline is that they add ethanol to it. The ethanol is what can do damage to certain parts if they are left to soak in it.
Best bet is to seek out the odd gas station that still sells Non Ethanol gas. Around here it is fairly easy to find, it is usually marketed as "boat gas" and is marked/dyed, therefore not legal to use in machinery that travels a public road.
That is all we use on the farm, for any gas powered engine.
One other thing; we treat all our gas with a stabilizer. That way we are assured that ethanol or long storage intervals are never a problem, fuel wise.
Even after a year or more, the gas in the tank and in a carb is still good to use.

ranch hand

With all due respect Ranch Hand, I'm not aware of leaded gas being available anywhere, except maybe Av-gas at an airport, and they are not supposed to sell it for non aviation use.
The problem with today's gasoline is that they add ethanol to it. The ethanol is what can do damage to certain parts if they are left to soak in it.
Best bet is to seek out the odd gas station that still sells Non Ethanol gas. Around here it is fairly easy to find, it is usually marketed as "boat gas" and is marked/dyed, therefore not legal to use in machinery that travels a public road.
That is all we use on the farm, for any gas powered engine.
One other thing; we treat all our gas with a stabilizer. That way we are assured that ethanol or long storage intervals are never a problem, fuel wise.
Even after a year or more, the gas in the tank and in a carb is still good to use.

ranch hand

Maybe the wording leaded in my thread through it off to some. Where I live, gas without ethanol is available and what many use here for there small engines like chain saws, lawn mowers, gas tractors etc.What is out there in other states I can't say.
Ranch Hand

ndncowboy

ndncowboy

I've started giving my chainsaw a shot of carburator cleaner. 1 or 2 pulls max and it's running. That's versus 6 to 10 pulls without. And my chainsaw even has the little fuel pump bulb. Todays fuels just plain sucks rotten eggs.

Warning though....DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID...at least not if you don't want to cause problems. That stuff is for diesel engines and to be frank, is quite dangerous. Carburator cleaner actually helps remove some of that ethanol crud that builds up. Okay, that's my trick and it works for me. Your results may be different.