How To Tell If A Cow Was Struck By Lightning

Kouba

How do you tell if a cow was struck by lightning? I had one die last night, and I think that's what it was. Her tongue is shredded but there aren't any other obvious signs. I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle and cost to claim it on insurance. I'm not 100% sure it was lightening.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
A veterinarian could tell, I'm sure. I would want one to come out anyway and find out exactly what happened, especially if your cow is worth a bit of money.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
Oh no! Yes, the vet should be able to tell you. I wouldn't just guess. Hope you don't lose any more cattle. I'd file a claim, does the insurance cover act of God?

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Was it rare or well done...

Sorry, it sucks - but as mentioned any vet.

Insurance wise, a single cow...not sure what your deductible is, but filing a claim for anything under 2k in general is not cost beneficial. Yes, you will get paid - but what are chances of a non renewal or rate increase next renewal.

Id talk with your agent first.

Andrew T

Andrew T

Farm Hand
A vet should be able to determine what the cause of death was. I would start there. If a cow dies, seemingly randomly, I'd want a vet to check him/her out to make sure he/she didn't have an illness or parasite or something that could affect my other livestock.

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
How do you tell if a cow was struck by lightning? I had one die last night, and I think that's what it was. Her tongue is shredded but there aren't any other obvious signs. I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle and cost to claim it on insurance. I'm not 100% sure it was lightening.
Try touching it to see if you get shocked